Please help a Newless Cluebee...

Post by Michelle Klein-Ha » Sun, 03 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi folks...longtime lurker, first time poster.

I am looking to install Debian Linux on a 5x86 133 based machine I
have cobbled together from parts. I want to install it *OVER* Caldera
DR-DOS 7.02, and use Loadlin to load Linux after DR-DOS has booted and
taken me to a menu with Loadlin as an option.

From everything I understand about Linux, this is an option that can
conceivably work. I want access to both Linux OR DOS if I choose. (DOS
games, New Deal Office, etc...)

1.) Will DOS FDISK.COM work to partition the HD? Or will I have to
repartition part of it for Linux with the Linux fdisk command?

2.)Does anyone have experience with Caldera DR-DOS, aka Caldera
OpenDOS? Specifically, I need to know if I can make the boot floppies
for DR-DOS on my Windows95 machine (which I'm typing at you from)
without disturbing Windows95. (jeer at me all you want, but I have
both a Mac and a PC running Windows95 and I want to run Linux too.)

3.)How does Loadlin work? Is it a complete substitute for LILO or will
I have to have LILO installed anyway?

4.)Can I have DOS on a small master drive and Linux on a bigger slave
drive?

Thanks in advance for your help...
--.\\<-H--

WINDOWS - Will Install Needless Data Over Whole System.
Change the capital letters into numbers
and get rid of the "Nope" and that's my address.
SPAMMERS SPAM ME AT YOUR PERIL!!!
By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited adverti*t to such equipment.  By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500,
whichever is greater, for each violation.

1. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

Everything ran WONDERFUL for about 4 months this machine ran several
servers it is a UDB w/ 340mb SCSI (SLOW 5mb) half inch internal hard
drive.  32 megs of true parity ram, Red hat 5.0 I get the following
error

NCR53-810-0: ERROR (0:48) (0-20-0) (8/33) * scripth (868:18000400).
NCR53-810-0: Script cmd = 888030000
NCR53-810-0: regdump : da 10 80 33 47 08 00 1f 01 08 00 28 80 00 08 00
NCR53-810-0: have to clear fifos

What the HELL is this and is there anyway to fix it ?  It seems to
occur when doing file writing, when i try to tar something for example
it will go into a continual unending loop displaying the above error
message.  I have refdisked, formated, and clean installed redhat and
the problem is still there :( Please help, if at all possible mail

2. ipfw (simple)

4. Netscape 4.6 error

5. NFS please help me please please please sniff

6. Running answerbook on an X-Terminal

7. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

8. Problems with NexGen 110 w/FPU

9. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

10. please please please help me!

11. Please Please Please HELP

12. Please, please, please- can anyone provide any help?