Switching monitors in console/shell?

Post by Nikol » Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:27:39

Hi:)

I've been trying to get my Xinerama going with little luck.
To test whether both my videocards/monitors are working properly, is there a
command to switch which card/monitor I'm using (while in shell/runlevel 3)?
I thought I saw something that would do that, based on the bus-id (i.e.
0:9:0), but for the life of me I cannot find it again :(

Thx in advance:)
Nick

Post by CrayzeeWul » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 14:32:01

> Hi:)

> I've been trying to get my Xinerama going with little luck. To test
> whether both my videocards/monitors are working properly, is there a
> command to switch which card/monitor I'm using (while in shell/runlevel
> 3)? I thought I saw something that would do that, based on the bus-id
> (i.e. 0:9:0), but for the life of me I cannot find it again :(

> Thx in advance:)
> Nick

You should be able to put the BusID for the card you want to use in the
"Device" section of XF86Config. For example:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card1"
        Driver     "nvidia"
        VendorName  "NVidia"
        BoardName   "0x0172"
        BusID      "PCI:0:12:0"
EndSection

You can use "XFree86 -scanpci" to get the information you need about the
bus-ids of your cards. Here is the part of "man XFree86" which explains
this:

       -scanpci
               When  this option is specified, the X server scans
               the PCI bus, and prints out some information about
               each  device  that  was  detected.  See also scan-
               pci(1) and pcitweak(1).

Hope that helps. BTW, which two graphics cards are you trying to use ?
--
CrayzeeWulf

Post by CrayzeeWul » Tue, 08 Oct 2002 15:41:06

> Hi:)

> I've been trying to get my Xinerama going with little luck. To test
> whether both my videocards/monitors are working properly, is there a
> command to switch which card/monitor I'm using (while in shell/runlevel
> 3)? I thought I saw something that would do that, based on the bus-id
> (i.e. 0:9:0), but for the life of me I cannot find it again :(

There is usually a BIOS option to do this. It lets you select the AGP or
PCI graphics card as the primary console. Did you check in your BIOS ?

--
CrayzeeWulf

Post by mjt » Wed, 09 Oct 2002 14:48:34

> command to switch which card/monitor I'm using (while in shell/runlevel
> 3)? I thought I saw something that would do that, based on the bus-id
> (i.e. 0:9:0), but for the life of me I cannot find it again :(

you probably saw it in here: man XF86Config  once it comes up,
hit the '/' key and enter busid and the enter key ... should take
you right to the section about busid

1. switching console from ttya to monitor/mouse -- ttymon dying

I just added an SBUS framebuffer card, and monitor/keyboard/mouse, to
an Ultra 1/170E server running Solaris 2.5.1 which has spent its life
so far with just a dumb terminal on ttya as a console.  After 'boot -r'
(twice), I still have a problem where after exiting openwin, ttymon
does not restart on the console.  Trying manually yields:

# /usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -h -p "`uname -n` console login: " \
   -T sun -d /dev/console -l console -m ldterm,ttcompat
push (ldterm) on /dev/console failed, errno = 6

There is only a plain /usr/lib/saf/ttymon process running with no command-
line args, both before and after that attempt to do init's job manually.
ttya is currently disabled and connected to an APC UPS, while ttyb has a
modem.

The /dev links and /devices stuff looks ok, but at boot time /var/adm/messages
mentions keyboard, mouse, and stdin:

which my other systems don't.  It also lists the cgsix:

Jul 14 11:23:07 unix: cgsix0 at sbus0: SBus0 slot 0x0 offset 0x0 SBus level 5 sparc9 ipl 9

Jul 14 11:23:07 unix: cgsix0: screen 1152x900, single buffered, 1M mappable, rev 11

I've check the FAQ, man pages, answerbook, etc. and examined various /etc
config files in comparison with other similar systems here, but am stuck.
A workaround will be for me to just stay logged in to the console with
openwin forever, which would only be a few hours less per day that I do
now in person...:-)

Dr. Rick Perry, ECE Department, Villanova University, Villanova, PA 19085
610-519-4969, fax: 610-519-4436, hm: 610-259-8734

2. SCSI - Adaptec 2940 Support for a Memorex CRW620 CD-RW

3. Switching from console to X makes monitor say "no signal"

4. root size

5. Virtual Console Switch from shell

6. vfxs versus ufs question

7. switching from vga console to svga console

8. Is there a g++ IDE for linux with code completion etc

9. one SVGA-monitor running X, console on Hercules monitor??

10. shell built ins

11. Drop to ROM Monitor after console monitor turned off.

12. Shells and built-ins

13. Replace console monitor with PC monitor