Setup Cannot Find my PCI Card

Post by Mathew E. Kirsc » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 > I am try to install slackware Linux 3.3.0 .
 > However, every time when I try to setup from the boot disk,
 > "Warning  unknow PCI device ........"  appear.

Begin canned answer 199976:

If you're having problems installing, that message IS NOT the cause of
them. The message is a "warning", not an "error". This particular
warning simply means that one of the PCI devices in your system is not
listed in the kernel's PCI device database. It does not affect the
functionality of that device. It simply means that instead of getting
neat, almost magical "PCI device at yakkety-yack is a flippity-floop",
you get "Unknown PCI device..." Nothing critical about it.

I suspect the "Unknown PCI device" is the Matrox Millenium II, which is
a bleeding-edge card, and probably not listed in the kernel level you
are using to install Linux.

Setup Cannot Find my PCI Card

Post by Wong Ho Yin Starsk » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am try to install slackware Linux 3.3.0 .
However, every time when I try to setup from the boot disk,
"Warning  unknow PCI device ........"  appear.

My motherboard is Microstar MS-5148 and the PCI Cards are
MGA Millennium II and Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold.

Can anyone help me to solve, please ?

WHY.

Setup Cannot Find my PCI Card

Post by Daniel Erskin » Fri, 26 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I am try to install slackware Linux 3.3.0 .
> However, every time when I try to setup from the boot disk,
> "Warning  unknow PCI device ........"  appear.

> My motherboard is Microstar MS-5148 and the PCI Cards are
> MGA Millennium II and Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold.

> Can anyone help me to solve, please ?

> WHY.

Greetings:
  This is normal for any of my installations, and can be
remedied by recompiling your kernel.  I *think* the issue
is in the default kernel's having generic PCI bus support.

Hope this helps,
    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

Setup Cannot Find my PCI Card

Post by John Winte » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I am try to install slackware Linux 3.3.0 .
>However, every time when I try to setup from the boot disk,
>"Warning  unknow PCI device ........"  appear.

>My motherboard is Microstar MS-5148 and the PCI Cards are
>MGA Millennium II and Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold.

>Can anyone help me to solve, please ?

The rest of the message - the bit you've missed out - tells you exactly
what to do.

/*      PROCEDURE TO REPORT NEW PCI DEVICES
 * We are trying to collect information on new PCI devices, using
 * the standard PCI identification procedure. If some warning is
 * displayed at boot time, please report
 *      - /proc/pci
 *      - your exact hardware description. Try to find out
 *        which device is unknown. It may be you mainboard chipset.
 *        PCI-CPU bridge or PCI-ISA bridge.
 *      - If you can't find the actual information in your hardware
 *        booklet, try to read the references of the chip on the board.

 *        and I'll add your device to the list as soon as possible
 *
 * BEFORE you send a mail, please check the latest linux releases
 * to be sure it has not been recently added.
 *
 *        Thanks
 *              Frederic Potter.
 */

John

(Newsgroups trimmed.)

--
John Winters.  Wallingford, Oxon, England.

Want to buy Linux CDs cheaply in the UK?  Join the Linux Buyers' Consortium.
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/lbc.html>

Setup Cannot Find my PCI Card

Post by Jon Plew » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I am try to install slackware Linux 3.3.0 .
> However, every time when I try to setup from the boot disk,
> "Warning  unknow PCI device ........"  appear.

> My motherboard is Microstar MS-5148 and the PCI Cards are
> MGA Millennium II and Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold.

> Can anyone help me to solve, please ?

> WHY.

This is not an error, it's a warning.
It only means that the kernel on the boot disk cannot identify a particular
PCI device and tell you in friendly English what it is. [Note also that a
PCI device doesn't neccessarily mean a PCI _card_]
This _is_not_a_problem_ and won't affect installation or anything else.

Don't worry, be happy.

Jon.

1. GigaByte GA-5AA, RH6.0 cannot find PCI cards

Hi,

I want to configure RH 6.0 Linux/Apache box in a network with Win98. The
installation went pretty easy. The problem is Linux cannot find my two
PCI cards. One is LinkSys Ethernet card and the second is Yamaha sound
card.

Even Win98 cannot work with them until I install PCI IDE bus muster. I
have tried pnpdump utility and sndconfig for example to see whether they
will detect my cards with no success.

At the boot up Linux detects unknown IDE  controller

and prints the following lines as well:
id0: PCI_IDE BUS-MASTER DMA disabled (BIOS)
id1: PCI_IDE BUS-MASTER DMA disabled (BIOS)

My motherboard is GigaByte Ga-5AA model with VIA Ali chipset. I have
already checked their web site. They don't provide drivers for Linux
yet. I have read HOW-TO pages for PCI devices and networking. It did not
work out.

The question is how you make Linux recognize PCI cards? Do I have to get
newer kernel and recompile it? Or change my motherboard? What about
updating my BIOS?

Thanks,

Dimitar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. A Look Back at Where We've Been

3. Error congiguring video card --"Cannot find server, cannot continue"

4. tomcat - apache -ProxyPass

5. Issue with net install & scsi drivers

6. PCI Ethernet card not found (card from MAGITRONIC I-E32-COMBOPNP)

7. Can BSD fs be mounted on Solaris?

8. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"

9. PCI ethernet card shares irq with PCI scsi card

10. PCI Riser card for Multia and S3 PCI card

11. Gnome setup - RPM cannot find libgif.so

12. Setup cannot find CD-ROM