Haven't even got as far as lilo!

Post by David Jone » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Dear all,

I'm trying to install linux on a Packard Bell, P100 with 16mb of Ram.

The story goes:

I've just bought a book "Red Hat Linux Unleashed" - which contains
Red Hat 3.03 and an easy to install program...

Well, I tried it (execute program called redhat.exe at dos prompt)
and the installation gets to a point and gives me a vmunix - kernel
panic error.

I assume that it is trying to create a boot partition in memory and
failing. This doesn't even get me as far as re-partitioning me disk.

I'm running Win95 - have 1 850mb disk and 1 3.5gb disk.

I'm not new to unix but I am new to linux. So any ideas anyone?

If you email me I'll furnish you with more information..

Thanks,

David

Haven't even got as far as lilo!

Post by Thoma » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

to install red hat you must first make some room for it: it must have
it's own drive or partition. once this is done, you want to create 1-2
boot disks using rawrite and the image files you have on the CD
(boot.img, supp.img) i think if you use the cdrom you only need one disk
but i'm not sure. then reboot using the first disk... check out the doc
on the CD or on the web (www.redhat.com) it's pretty detailed. i don't
know what your redhat.exe does but it's not as simple as this.

        Thomas

Post by michael cyrus khalil » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> to install red hat you must first make some room for it: it must have
> it's own drive or partition. once this is done, you want to create 1-2
> boot disks using rawrite and the image files you have on the CD
> (boot.img, supp.img) i think if you use the cdrom you only need one disk
> but i'm not sure. then reboot using the first disk... check out the doc
> on the CD or on the web (www.redhat.com) it's pretty detailed. i don't
> know what your redhat.exe does but it's not as simple as this.

Actually it is.  With the version that comes with the unleased book you
should be able to just type REDHAT at a dos prompt and start the installer.
However, kernel panics tend to come along with this method.  The easiest
way to avoid them is to after hitting return at the question, choose no
at the second one.  Then it'll ask you about SCSI, ethernet, and CD-ROM.
My advice is to choose the appropriate type of cdrom, and then if and
when it asks you a question in which it lists parameters, also add those
pararmeters at the final question where it asks if you want to add
parameters.  This is a good idea because some of this auto *that
comes with this version is a bit flakey.

Post by David Jone » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

> > to install red hat you must first make some room for it: it must have
> > it's own drive or partition. once this is done, you want to create 1-2
> > boot disks using rawrite and the image files you have on the CD
> > (boot.img, supp.img) i think if you use the cdrom you only need one disk
> > but i'm not sure. then reboot using the first disk... check out the doc
> > on the CD or on the web (www.redhat.com) it's pretty detailed. i don't
> > know what your redhat.exe does but it's not as simple as this.

> Actually it is.  With the version that comes with the unleased book you
> should be able to just type REDHAT at a dos prompt and start the installer.
> However, kernel panics tend to come along with this method.  The easiest
> way to avoid them is to after hitting return at the question, choose no
> at the second one.  Then it'll ask you about SCSI, ethernet, and CD-ROM.
> My advice is to choose the appropriate type of cdrom, and then if and
> when it asks you a question in which it lists parameters, also add those
> pararmeters at the final question where it asks if you want to add
> parameters.  This is a good idea because some of this auto *that
> comes with this version is a bit flakey.

The problem is that it doesn't list my particular type of cd-rom drive.
Windows 95 thinks that the drive is an NEC one - but there is no scope
for this in the program.

I think that I may have to try one of the other methods of installing -
which are mentioned in some of the FAQs.

Thanks,

David

1. lilo can't find /etc/lilo.conf, even though it's there

Greetings,

I don't know how, but somehow when I try to update lilo and I run
/sbin/lilo, I get the message:
/etc/lilo.conf: No such file or directory

I run 'file /etc/lilo.conf' and it confirms that the file is there and
nothing else is unusual about it.

Running lilo -v only shows the credits to the author then prints that same
message.

Running lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf gives the same message.

I've verified that all files I refer to within lilo.conf are valid.

I've also put "garbage" at the first line of the file and gotten no error,
which makes me think that lilo really isn't able to open the file for some
reason.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks much,
-Nick

2. Kernels 1.3.6[12] break IP firewalling

3. Yamaha/RedHat 5.0/SB problems (still haven't gotten it to work...)

4. To partition, or not to partition... that is my question.

5. Help! I've gotten this far...

6. Kernel Compile Error

7. Can't boot lilo, getting 'Press a Key to Reboot'

8. Solaris on PC P200 vs Ppro20?

9. Switched to 'xdm,' now I haven't got an @ key

10. System won't boot without floppy, even with lilo installed in MBR

11. It gets even worse...Mach64 cont'd

12. Long ago, in a partition far, far away...

13. ISSG down far, far more than BCSG