Forgot root password

Post by jh » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Yes, I know, stupid...but it happened.  So, is there any way to recover or
change it?

jh

Forgot root password

Post by Davi » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Yes, I know, stupid...but it happened.  So, is there any way to recover or
> change it?

> jh
>At LILO boot prompt type "linux 1" or "linux single" (no quotes,
>of course). This will get you into single user mode without asking
>about passwords. Then use command "passwd root" to change password
>for user root. Then reboot.

Forgot root password

Post by jh » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your quick response, I'll give that a try.

jh

Quote:> >At LILO boot prompt type "linux 1" or "linux single" (no quotes,
> >of course). This will get you into single user mode without asking
> >about passwords. Then use command "passwd root" to change password
> >for user root. Then reboot.

1. forgot root password

I finally got a second monitor for an old system (sparc2
running Solaris 2.6) and I cant remember the root password
for the life of me.  Anyonw know how to wipe it out and start
over?  SunOS used to let you just reboot as single user but
Solaris has protected that (which is a good idea, just not
for me at the moment ;)

thanks
Jeff

2. ufsdump:error in ftw

3. X Windows Display problem

4. Forgotten Root Password - Help!

5. SCSI adapter not recognized (but worked during install)

6. Forgotten root password!!!

7. Upgrading X to 4.0

8. FreeBSD 3.2 - Forgot Root Password !!

9. forgotten root password

10. I forgot root password

11. Forgot root password

12. HELP!! - Recover from forgotten ROOT password