Mounting /dev/cdrom of other system...

Post by Andry William Ratsimandres » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I have Linux system without CD reader. On the other side there is
another Linux system which has a CD reader. My question is what do I
need to configure so that both computer can use the CD reader.
I tried to give mount permission to the other computer and mount it
but I just see nothing under the directory.

Any help somebody can give?

Thanks in advance
Andry William Ratsimandresy                        tel:34-928454520
Grupo de Oceanografia Fisica, Dpto. de Fisica      fax:34-928452922

35017 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria                             Espana

         http://www.ccbb.ulpgc.es/fisica/usuarios/andry/

Post by Ian Wilso » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I have Linux system without CD reader. On the other side there is
> another Linux system which has a CD reader. My question is what do I
> need to configure so that both computer can use the CD reader.
> I tried to give mount permission to the other computer and mount it
> but I just see nothing under the directory.

> Any help somebody can give?

> Thanks in advance
> --
> Andry William Ratsimandresy                        tel:34-928454520
> Grupo de Oceanografia Fisica, Dpto. de Fisica      fax:34-928452922

> 35017 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria                             Espana

>          http://www.ccbb.ulpgc.es/fisica/usuarios/andry/

Assuming that both PCs are networked and can ping each other, there are
several ways.

On  machine with the CD, make sure NFS is running and export the
/mnt/cdrom filesystem
On  the other machine mount servername:/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

man export

You can achieve a similar effect using samba and smbmount or by using
FTP daemon and client

1. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

"That should do it.  I hope this was not to long an explaination, but
"I want you to have a fell for what you are doing before doing it.

"Now as to why...
"Most multitasking multiuser Operation system do not let users
"access the mount command.  Linux makes it possible for users
"to use the command, but doesn't give the privilage to automatically.
"Root has to set the priv on a per device basis.

   ... oh wow.  that was great.  thanks ...

"it's not what you see ,
 but in stead notice."

http://www.aniota.com/~twhite

2. Can't setup automount on cdrom!

3. 2.4.x/2.5.x: update for PCI vendor id 0x12d4

4. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

5. Western Digital SCSI

6. only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /mnt/cdrom

7. Problem with Buslogic

8. cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

9. What is the difference between /dev/sg0, /dev/scd0 /dev/hdd and /dev/cdrom ?

10. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

11. /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/cdrom

12. CDROMS, some titles mount, others do not