printing problem

Post by Matt Kresse » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

>         My deskjet is locally connected to the PC, I can print from Win95
> throught the LPT1 port. I have /dev/lp0 device file and a spool directory,
> /var/spool/lpd/lp0. All these are specified in /etc/printcap.

>         When I typed lpr foo, I saw foo was copied to the spool directory,
> however, it then hung and said, "wait for lp to be ready (offline?)".
> How could cause this problem.

>         Yes, I have both Win95 and linux on the same PC.

I believe that in the 2.0.x kernels, the LPT1 port showed up as
/dev/lp1.  See your boot messages with "dmesg"

-Matt

--

+---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+
+---------  TEL: (516) 346-9101 FAX: (516) 346-9740 ------------+

printing problem

Post by Norman Elliot » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> >         My deskjet is locally connected to the PC, I can print from Win95
> > throught the LPT1 port. I have /dev/lp0 device file and a spool directory,
> > /var/spool/lpd/lp0. All these are specified in /etc/printcap.

> >         When I typed lpr foo, I saw foo was copied to the spool directory,
> > however, it then hung and said, "wait for lp to be ready (offline?)".
> > How could cause this problem.

> >         Yes, I have both Win95 and linux on the same PC.

> I believe that in the 2.0.x kernels, the LPT1 port showed up as
> /dev/lp1.  See your boot messages with "dmesg"

> -Matt

> --

> +---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+
> +---------  TEL: (516) 346-9101 FAX: (516) 346-9740 ------------+

Not sure what is wrong but here is some stuff to try and some to know.

Hi,
Just to confirm the above.
On PC's of the IBM compat type lp0 is the first parallel printer on XT
type m/cs ( the ancient 8086 types )

lp1 is the first on AT style m/cs ( ie all the rest from 80286 and up )

best wishes
norm

1. Solaris 2.7 Print then No Print Problem

Server Configuration: Sun UltraSPARC-10, 300MHz UltraSPARC processor, with
256MB of RAM running Sun Solaris 2.7

I've been struggling with a, for me, perplexing problem in getting a cgi to
compile and work.  Note that this
software has been working under SUN 2.5 and 2.6.

The program uses a number of i/o functions, including lseek, open, close,
read, printf, fprintf, fwrite, and fgetc, as well as mSQL database
functions.  The problem is that the printf works initially, but then later
stops working; albeit without error.

I've stepped through the code with gdb and see nothing unusual.

Although I wouldn't doubt that there could well be a program problem on my
part, I don't see it.

The program flow is as follows.  Please note that while the program is
substantial in size, the process flow is exactly as shown; hence 99% of the
program doesn't execute prior to the difficulty.  The difficulty remains
consistent whether run from the prompt or as a database maintenance utility
in which HTML is parsed and written back to the server.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <unistd.h>
. . .

int main()
{
    initialization();
    .  .  .

void initialization()
{
    llist entries;
    printf("before");
    cgiHTMLStatus = read_cgi_input(&entries);
    formActionString = cgi_val(entries, "formAction");
    printf("after");

    . . .

The second print statement doesn't appear!  the read_input_entries(...) is
http://www.eekim.com's cgihtml which is heavily used.  However, thinking
that it might be somehow connected with his code, I replaced
it with a version of my own and got exactly the same result - no printf
"after" output to stdout.

All software and libraries have been compiled on the same 2.7 system.

I have a hunch that somehow I have some incompatible headers or libraries in
the mix, but my checking has thusfar ruled that out.

I've tried lots of combinations in an effort to isolate the point where it
fails, but every combination has worked except for the combination I need to
produce the required functionality.  For instance, I have tried making a
program which contains all the same headers, but only the logic which is
exercised prior to the problem.  It worked!

I have several more things to try, but thought while I was trying them, I'd
check to see whether anyone was having any similar problems.  Any thoughts,
suggestions, clues, etc., would be appreciated.

--
Regards,

Phil Welch

2. need to count "real" disk accesses

3. Printing problems- Can't print plain ascii

4. Emulation

5. printing problems: printer resets but no print

6. library

7. Printing problems on a Solaris 8 print server

8. test

9. Printing Problem - No Print

10. print problem, blank page printing

11. HP Printing Problem & Printing.HOWTO can't help!!!

12. Printing problem (Not printing first line) Help!

13. Printing Problem: Stair-Stepping when printing text