LILO: Dual boot Linux drive+Win95 drive problem

LILO: Dual boot Linux drive+Win95 drive problem

Post by Mike Patto » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to add a second drive to boot Win95 for my 3.5 yr-old
daughter's Win95 games.  I have Linux booting fine on my primary master,
hda.  I can unplug the Linux drive from the primary master and plug in
the Win95 as the primary master and boot into Win95 as well.  I cannot
connect both at once (Linux as hda and the Win95 drive as hdb) and set
up LILO to dual boot.

Both drives are properly configured, the Linux drive as hda, and the
Win95 drive as hdb.  I added the following to my lilo.conf file:

. . .
other = /dev/hdb      [I also tried "other = /dev/hdb1"]
     label = dos
     table = /dev/hdb

When the "LILO:" prompt appears and I type "dos", lilo returns with

Whats up?  Any ideas?

LILO: Dual boot Linux drive+Win95 drive problem

Post by Charles Sulliva » Mon, 29 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I think Windows needs to be on the first drive.  Can you reverse them,
i.e., make the Windows drive hda and the Linux drive hdb?  There'll
be some configuration files to modify.

>I am trying to add a second drive to boot Win95 for my 3.5 yr-old
>daughter's Win95 games.  I have Linux booting fine on my primary master,
>hda.  I can unplug the Linux drive from the primary master and plug in
>the Win95 as the primary master and boot into Win95 as well.  I cannot
>connect both at once (Linux as hda and the Win95 drive as hdb) and set
>up LILO to dual boot.

>Both drives are properly configured, the Linux drive as hda, and the
>Win95 drive as hdb.  I added the following to my lilo.conf file:

>. . .
>other = /dev/hdb      [I also tried "other = /dev/hdb1"]
>     label = dos
>     table = /dev/hdb

>When the "LILO:" prompt appears and I type "dos", lilo returns with

>Whats up?  Any ideas?

1. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

Hi:

I've got a 266 PII PC with one EIDE hard-drive with Win95 installed.  I want
to add a second EIDE hard drive (probably around 4-6 Gb) and install RH
Linux 5.1 plus some other Linux s/w (like Oracle8.0.5 pre-production
release!  Yew!).  I want to be able to choose which O/S (ie. which
hard-drive) I boot from at power-on.  I'm not real good with hardware and
low-level stuff.  Do I need to purchase a good boot-loader?  Is there one
that anyone would recommend that works very well and is simple (and safe!)
to install for choosing boot between Linux and Win95?

Doubly thankful if you would respond via email as well as posting here!

Thanks and regards,
Dave

2. Proposal for an Open Source Robot AI Operating System

3. Solaris ethernet port

4. Dual boot with 2 drives and LILO - Win95 and RedHat 6.0

5. Linux on PS/2

6. Adding second Linux Drive to existing dual boot Win95 / Linux system

7. Redhat backward compatibility

8. Win95/Linux dual boot with 2 hard drives

9. HELP: Win95 and Linux Dual booting with two hard drives

10. Dual Booting WinXP / Linux from another drive using LILO

11. LILO config for dual boot: Win98 / Linux w/two IDE drives

12. dual win95/RH boot with 2 hard drives