Getting telnet, ftp, & exceed working in Redhat 7.1

Getting telnet, ftp, & exceed working in Redhat 7.1

Post by Shel » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 10:52:43

I have noticed lots of posts from people trying to get things such as
telnet, ftp, and Exceed (X) working with RedHat 7.1.  In fact, I had
these very same issues.  Since I was able to resolve the problems, I
thought I would go ahead and post this info out here so it might help
someone else.

After I did my RH7.1 install, telnet, ftp, imap, pop3, etc... were all
disabled.  Someone told me this could be due to choosing medium
security for the firewall config during setup but, I am fairly certain
I chose "none" and my stuff was still disabled anyway.

To renable these things, go to /etc/xinetd.d and edit the files for
the services you want to start.  Change the line "disable = yes" to
"disable = no".  Note:  If you do not have the files, telnet &
wu.ftpd, you need to install the packages.

After making your changes restart xinetd.
# service xinetd restart

I use Exceed from my Win machines to get an X session on my Linux
boxes.  First thing you have to do to get Exceed to work is to read
the XDMCP How-To.
<a
href="XDMCP-HOWTO">http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/index.html</a>

Note:  do not do step #8 from the HOWTO otherwise, you will not get a
gui at the console.

Edit /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config and comment out the last line:
! DisplayManager.requestPort: 0

Restart xdm or reboot the system.

-- Shelly

WINDOWS... Will Install Needless Data On Whole System

Getting telnet, ftp, & exceed working in Redhat 7.1

Post by Shel » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 10:59:53

Sorry about the XDMCP link in the post...
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/index.html

---

Quote:>I have noticed lots of posts from people trying to get things such as
>telnet, ftp, and Exceed (X) working with RedHat 7.1.  In fact, I had
>these very same issues.  Since I was able to resolve the problems, I
>thought I would go ahead and post this info out here so it might help
>someone else.

>After I did my RH7.1 install, telnet, ftp, imap, pop3, etc... were all
>disabled.  Someone told me this could be due to choosing medium
>security for the firewall config during setup but, I am fairly certain
>I chose "none" and my stuff was still disabled anyway.

>To renable these things, go to /etc/xinetd.d and edit the files for
>the services you want to start.  Change the line "disable = yes" to
>"disable = no".  Note:  If you do not have the files, telnet &
>wu.ftpd, you need to install the packages.

>After making your changes restart xinetd.
># service xinetd restart

>I use Exceed from my Win machines to get an X session on my Linux
>boxes.  First thing you have to do to get Exceed to work is to read
>the XDMCP How-To.
><a
>href="XDMCP-HOWTO">http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/index.html</a>

>Note:  do not do step #8 from the HOWTO otherwise, you will not get a
>gui at the console.

>Edit /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config and comment out the last line:
>! DisplayManager.requestPort: 0

>Restart xdm or reboot the system.

>-- Shelly

>WINDOWS... Will Install Needless Data On Whole System

1. telnet and ftp on Redhat 7.1

Hi - I'd like to be able to telnet and FTP into my machine from uni (it's
a Redhat 7.1 install) and I've read through the ipchains howto and I even
flush the entire "input" chain and still whenever i telnet to my IP I get
a connection refused message.

Is this an ipchains issue or do I need to set up my machine to allow
telnet in another way?  I couldn't find a telnet howto at linuxdoc.org so
i'm a bit stuck here.

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers,
Glen

2. GDBdemangle-style for Forte C++

3. Unable to ftp/telnet to RedHat 7.1 Fisher (beta)

4. Using C with C++ shared libraries

5. Telnet, ftp servers on RedHat 7.1?

6. Free/Swan - Question for newbies.

7. Need help getting Linksys Wireless Ethernet to work with RedHat 7.1

8. Looking For "Sun demand paged SPARC" File Format Information

9. Linux Redhat 7.1 & Cable Modem & DHCP Server & Firewall

10. Got JBuilder 5 working on RedHat 7.1 & Ximian

11. IP Masq - Ping & Telnet ok, but HTTP & FTP don't work

12. On a Linux router, ftp& telnet works but ping doesn't work .

13. getting ftp, telnet and rcp working on a LAN