Can see yahoo.com but not nvidia.com after kernal compile

Can see yahoo.com but not nvidia.com after kernal compile

Post by mdc » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 07:18:52

Greetings:

I have been running the 2.4.19-pre2 kernal for some time. I recently
needed to recompile the kernal to add the following items to my
kernal.config file due to some new VPN client software I want to run:

CONFIG_PACKET
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV
CONFIG_NETFILTER
CONFIG_FILTER
CONFIG_UNIX
CONFIG_INET
CONFIG_IPMULTICAST
CONFIG_INET_ECN

The unix, and INET settings were already present in my .config

I was able to compile with no issues, but I am getting some strange errors

1) I can navigate to yahoo.com, but not nvidia.com
2) I am told that my POP mail server is refusing my connection.
3) The VPN is configured via a browser on the loopback:port on my
machine. After about 2-3 minutes after starting the vpn client, I start
getting a similar message to in #2, this time concerning the loopback:port.

I made no modifications to the modules between the two compiles.

I have checked, and I don't seem to be runing IPtables or IPchains. The
behaviour looks like I've got some type of filter running (even when I
am not running the vpn.), but I can't think of what could be.

Does anyone have any suggestions of things to check?

Thanks

MDC

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 07:58:32

> Greetings:

> I have been running the 2.4.19-pre2 kernal for some time. I recently
> needed to recompile the kernal to add the following items to my
> kernal.config file due to some new VPN client software I want to run:

> CONFIG_PACKET
> CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP
> CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV
> CONFIG_NETFILTER
> CONFIG_FILTER
> CONFIG_UNIX
> CONFIG_INET
> CONFIG_IPMULTICAST
> CONFIG_INET_ECN  <---

Remove that and re-compile.

Or set a line in rc.local to

echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

Post by mdc » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 08:39:23

>>Greetings:

>>I have been running the 2.4.19-pre2 kernal for some time. I recently
>>needed to recompile the kernal to add the following items to my
>>kernal.config file due to some new VPN client software I want to run:

>>CONFIG_PACKET
>>CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP
>>CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV
>>CONFIG_NETFILTER
>>CONFIG_FILTER
>>CONFIG_UNIX
>>CONFIG_INET
>>CONFIG_IPMULTICAST
>>CONFIG_INET_ECN  <---

> Remove that and re-compile.

> Or set a line in rc.local to

> echo "0" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

Dave, thanks very much. That did it. Now I need to write a script that
turns this on and off when I start/stop the VPN so I can can continue to
use my machine for my uses when I'm not using it for my companies!

MDC

1. Yahoo.com resolving in Windows, but NOT Linux

Greetings!

Weird problem: I can browse/use http://www.yahoo.com site when I'm in
Windows, but when I try it in Linux the browser gets stuck "resolving
host www.yahoo.com".

What's up with that?

Searching through the newsgroups, I've noticed a few other posts
having this problem too; but no one seems to have gotten to the bottom
of this.

I can do an nslookup to yahoo, and get resolved to an address;
likewize with 'dig'.

But none of my Linux browsers can http to yahoo.com; www.yahoo.co.uk
sometimes works, as does mail.yahoo.com.

But why is www.yahoo.com having such a problem in Linux?

Browsing works fine until I attempt that site.  Thereafter trying
yahoo.com, no other web sites resolve properly until I literally end
the browser session and bring up a new browser.

Lets help each other out, and get to the bottom of this once and for
all.  Any takers?

Peace,
Tim

PS: I use both Red Hat Linux 8.0, Mandrake Linux 9.1; and Windows XP;
Verizon is my DSL ISP.

2. XF86VidMode

3. From netscape browser - resolve name of local site yahoo.com to local site on apache

4. help!!!! need more ppp channels

5. $$ Domain sale: meetLINUX.com,LinuxCares.com, softwares4linux.com And more $$

6. UNIX vs. Microsoft

7. How to do com ? com : com in unix...

8. nfs connection: mount hangs

9. $$ Domain sale: meetLINUX.com,LinuxCares.com, softwares4linux.com And more $$

10. jlg058@home.com, tlg62@home.com, egglectric@home.com

11. abuse@netvigator.com does not belongs to netvigator.com

12. Win95 box sending goofy DNS requests like WWW\.YAHOO\.COM

13. [newbeb@yahoo.com: Re: Java crashes on FreeBSD?]