Installing RH Linux 5.2/Sparc on Sparcstation2 via my Windows95/98 peer-peer network

Installing RH Linux 5.2/Sparc on Sparcstation2 via my Windows95/98 peer-peer network

Post by Mark Spenc » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

I would like to install Redhat Linux 5.2/Sparc on a  Sun SS2 via my
Windows95/98 peer-peer network. I would have loaded RH Linux on a
CDROM drive, but the only SCSI I could find at work is not compatible
with the SS2. I'm fairly new to unix in general - I have limited
experience with shell accounts at my previous school. And I'm very new
to the Sparc2, as I just picked it up recently.

I'm not sure what steps I need to take to accomplish the install. The
Sparcstation2 is running Solaris 2.5.

My questions are -

1) How do I setup the SS2 under Solaris 2.5 for the correct network
settings for my LAN? (ie, I would need to set it as 192.168.150.4)

2) Once I download RH 5.2/Sparc onto one of my Windows98 PC's, how to
I get the Sparc2 to retrieve it and begin installation?

Thanks greatly for your help!

Post by Nico Kadel-Garc » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I would like to install Redhat Linux 5.2/Sparc on a  Sun SS2 via my
>Windows95/98 peer-peer network. I would have loaded RH Linux on a
>CDROM drive, but the only SCSI I could find at work is not compatible
>with the SS2. I'm fairly new to unix in general - I have limited
>experience with shell accounts at my previous school. And I'm very new
>to the Sparc2, as I just picked it up recently.

Oh, my! This sounds like a *GOOD* adventure.

Quote:>I'm not sure what steps I need to take to accomplish the install. The
>Sparcstation2 is running Solaris 2.5.

You need the manual, and preferably the CD's.

Quote:>1) How do I setup the SS2 under Solaris 2.5 for the correct network
>settings for my LAN? (ie, I would need to set it as 192.168.150.4)

This should be in the installation directions for Sparc boxes
in the Linux manual.

Quote:>2) Once I download RH 5.2/Sparc onto one of my Windows98 PC's, how to
>I get the Sparc2 to retrieve it and begin installation?

Ahh! In setting up the Sparc box for the Linux installation, you
should be able to install the network drivers. Make sure that the
Win98 box has a reasonable anonymous ftp server, of which there are
plenty available from the www.tucows.net sites (which I highly
recommend for PC and Mac users). Tell the Sparc box to retrieve the
files from that ftp server, being careful to also have the IP
addresses of your local DNS server, your IP gateway if needed, your IP
address for your Sparc box, your netmask, your domain name, etc.

I've done this for PC's, I haven't tried this for Sparc's. I have no
doubt there are extra steps to get the Sparc booting off the network.

--

Installing RH Linux 5.2/Sparc on Sparcstation2 via my Windows95/98 peer-peer network

Post by < » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello!

>I would like to install Redhat Linux 5.2/Sparc on a  Sun SS2 via my
>Windows95/98 peer-peer network. I would have loaded RH Linux on a
>CDROM drive, but the only SCSI I could find at work is not compatible
>with the SS2. I'm fairly new to unix in general - I have limited
>experience with shell accounts at my previous school. And I'm very new
>to the Sparc2, as I just picked it up recently.

>I'm not sure what steps I need to take to accomplish the install. The
>Sparcstation2 is running Solaris 2.5.

>My questions are -

>1) How do I setup the SS2 under Solaris 2.5 for the correct network
>settings for my LAN? (ie, I would need to set it as 192.168.150.4)

You don't need this for RH install, RH will ask you for the IP, Netmask and
such during installation.

Quote:

>2) Once I download RH 5.2/Sparc onto one of my Windows98 PC's, how to
>I get the Sparc2 to retrieve it and begin installation?

For your second question you need to be running a ftp daemon on
your winbox, that acts as an ftp server.  During your RH install on the
sparc,
you will point to the ip of your winbox as the ftp server, and designate a
directory (ie the cd, ./sparc/RedHat) where everything is stored.

you can go to www.tucows.com and download free ftp daemons for
windows.

have any problems email me

>Thanks greatly for your help!

1. Communicating with a Windows 98 Peer-Peer Network

As a new Linux user I still have ties to Windows 98.  Is it possible for a
Linux pc to share files or a printer that are shared on a Windows 98 peer
to peer network?  Additionally, can a Linux pc be set up to gain access to
the internet by networking to a  host that is using Microsoft's Internet
Connection Sharing to provide internet service over a small tcp/ip
network ?  Any suggestions on how to do this, if it's possible, would be
appreciated.

2. Korn Shell IFS When Declaring An Array

3. Can I connect a Linux box into a Windows 98 peer to peer network

4. graphic terminal emulation

5. peer to peer network with 2 Redhat 5.2 Linux boxes

6. Replacing ipchains with iptables

7. how do I install a peer-to-peer network on Linux??

8. static constructor calls

9. Red Hat 5.2 <-> Win98 Peer-to-Peer

10. Samba won't work with win98 peer-peer network!!!

11. Recommended etherNET cards for peer-peer network at home

12. Peer-to-Peer Network of LINUX Workstations, IS IT POSSIBLE?

13. Peer-to-peer network between a Linux and a DOS