Linux Install: "unable to mount root fs on 0b:00"

Linux Install: "unable to mount root fs on 0b:00"

Post by Tom Flaniga » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

This is driving me nuts I hope someone can help me with this...

I just got a portable computer with a CD-ROM drive in it and I'm trying
to install RedHat 3.0.3 from a CD.  I'm useing RedHat's program for a
diskless install and I think I have choosen all of the correct
parameters.  First off I was not sure of the SCSI device so I have tried
them all.  Next I have no network devices.  Finally I set the CD-ROM
device to be SCSI.  After this I start the install process and it
freezes when it gets to:

Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 0b:00

I looked this problem up in some of the Linux archives but I did not
find any answers there.  Can anyone help me with this?

-Tom

Department of Ocean Engineering         |Phone: 407-367-2947
Florida Atlantic University             |Fax:   407-367-3885
"Well, when I was younger, my parents moved around a lot.  But I
always found them."

1. kernal panic:VFS: Unable to mount fs on 0b:00.

hello

Recently I purchased a set of 4-cd's with redhat which wont work.
I am using floppyless installation directly from CD which means I run
redhat.exe from dos.
Equipment is pentium 75 with buslogic scsi,1gb disc (scsi 0) and cd
(scsi 2).
I follow the instructions during installation but is getting
kernal panic.:VFS: Unable to mount fs on 0b:00

Then I have to reboot.

There is an option that gives me possibility to give "further
parameters" but I cant find any info about how to give these
parameters.

Can anybody help me?

Regards

Kjartan Iversen

2. ipchains question

3. LinuxPPC boot install from CD: "Unable to mount root fs on 01:00"

4. sun pci installation error

5. LILO prints "00 00 00..."

6. MATLAB for Linux?

7. If you see "VFS : Unable to mount root fs...", check this out.

8. rpc.bootparamd under Linux 2.0.18?

9. "KP:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on nn:n0"

10. "2842 controller - Kernel panic VFS: unable to mount root fs on 1:02"

11. "unable to mount root fs" seems common prob....

12. What's mean "Kernel panic: VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 08:02"

13. Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff