How to tell which distribution a linux system is

How to tell which distribution a linux system is

Post by Woon Lim Che » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Dear all,
  Given a linux system, how do I tell which distribution it comes from?
i.e, how do I know whether it is Red Hat or Debian or whatever?

with regards,
Lim Cheng

How to tell which distribution a linux system is

Post by Ho Chin Keo » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

For Slackware, typing setup will tell you so. Not sure about Redhat.

Quote:>Dear all,

Post by Roy Stogn » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>  Given a linux system, how do I tell which distribution it comes from?
>>i.e, how do I know whether it is Red Hat or Debian or whatever?
>For Slackware, typing setup will tell you so. Not sure about Redhat.

"cat /etc/redhat-release" should work for 4.x and 5.x Red Hat versions
at least.
---
Roy Stogner

How to tell which distribution a linux system is

Post by J.H.M. Dass » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>  Given a linux system, how do I tell which distribution it comes from?
>i.e, how do I know whether it is Red Hat or Debian or whatever?

If a file /etc/debian_version exists, it's probably a Debian system.

Ray
--
J.H.M. Dassen                 | RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may

                              | live in but it'll be a sight more vivid.
                              |     - The Hipcrime Vocab by Chad C. Mulligan

How to tell which distribution a linux system is

Post by Chris Water » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Dear all,
>   Given a linux system, how do I tell which distribution it comes from?
> i.e, how do I know whether it is Red Hat or Debian or whatever?

What if it doesn't come from *any* distribution?  What if it's a
hacked-together combination of several?  I'm curious *why* you want to
know.
--
Chris Waters             | Bill Gates: "We need room to innovate!"

www.dsp.net/xtifr/ (web) |

How to tell which distribution a linux system is

Post by Dave Bro » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>What if it doesn't come from *any* distribution?  What if it's a
>hacked-together combination of several?  I'm curious *why* you want to
>know.
>--

I have a half-dozen machines with Linux, most with a Slackware partition
and a RedHat partition.  Often when a new level of a distribution comes,
I'll install it on a system to see what it looks like... i.e., to decide
if I think it's worth upgrading.  (Also gives me a chance to check out
when I think something got broken with a new release--did it act that way
before?)

But since I don't keep copious notes on each machine, I might forget if
I upgraded that particular machine to Slackware 3.3 or RH 4.2... So it's
handy to have a reminder somewhere, not whether it's Slack or RH, but
what 3.2, 3.3, 4.1, 4.2, etc.

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

Post by Frederick Schmid » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> > Dear all,
> >   Given a linux system, how do I tell which distribution it comes from?
> > i.e, how do I know whether it is Red Hat or Debian or whatever?

> What if it doesn't come from *any* distribution?  What if it's a
> hacked-together combination of several?  I'm curious *why* you want to
> know.

Perhaps he's helping a friend who doesn't know (because another
friend set him up, or because said friend didn't keep good records
of what he did?

Most of my worksites have been SunOS or Solaris.  Even with the
sysadm people around, even with a very limited set of commercial
unix's installed, I find myself checking almost every day
to see if this or that machine has this or that rev of the OS
on it.  Funny thing, this morning I can't remember it (I have
a call into the helpdesk....).

How to tell which distribution a linux system is

Post by Richard Stein » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>Given a linux system, how do I tell which distribution it comes from?
>i.e, how do I know whether it is Red Hat or Debian or whatever?

Slackware and Red Hat will both mention what they are (distribution
name and rev and kernel rev) at the initial long screens for the
fullscreen consoles.  Unless that is altered by the Sysadmin.

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

How to tell which distribution a linux system is

Post by Richard Stein » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>Slackware and Red Hat will both mention what they are (distribution
>name and rev and kernel rev) at the initial long screens for the

Er, I *meant* to say "login screens"...  Sorry about that.  :-)

--

Post by Marco Angles » Sat, 28 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>spake unto us, saying:

>>Given a linux system, how do I tell which distribution it comes from?
>>i.e, how do I know whether it is Red Hat or Debian or whatever?

>Slackware and Red Hat will both mention what they are (distribution
>name and rev and kernel rev) at the initial long screens for the
>fullscreen consoles.

Debian will say which version, and will increment your version number and
change the status (stable, unstable, frozen) as you incrementally upgrade.

Neat, innit?

marco

--

http://squawk.klue.on.ca  I thought, as I poured whiskey onto my granola
Running Debian Linux 2.0  and faced a new day.