LILO problem - repeats "01 01 01"

Post by Dan Mahone » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I just installed RedHat 5.0 on a machine that already had Winbloze95
on it.  Win95 is on hda, Linux is on hdb.  Went through the normal
setup process, installed lilo in the MBR.  When instructed I rebooted
the machine.

After the POST screen completes, the boot loader starts printing
"01 01 01" like mad - just keeps going, and going....

So what did I do wrong?  Any pointers on which FM is should R?

"There are 2 solutions to every neworking problem: the right one, and
the easy one.  Microsoft sells the easy one."

1. lilo li 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 solution

please, no flames, I am just saying what worked for me.

I went from Caldera 1.3 and Idiots Guide Book (steep learning curve there),
to Caldera 2.2 and Using Caldera Open Linux 2.2 and then a Cheapbytes 2.3
Caldera disk.  System was working the way I wanted it to.  I was having fun
with a dual boot that saw less and less of Windows, days without.  Months
pass

I lent my computer to mom for two months as I moved up to Canada, I unhooked
hdb so she would not have to be dual booting, let Doze98 overwrite the mbr,
but hey, I got a floppy with LILO.

Upon bringing computer back, and reinstalling hdb, I kept running into the
li 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 due to a probable geometry mismatch.  fdisked
mbr, reinstalled, yanked out sound and network cards, disabled com irq's,
Tried with Caldera 2.3, 2.2, phat linux which is an older mandrake that will
run in fat32, swapped drives back and forth between primary and secondary
(made sure jumpers were correct on hdd's) nothing works.  I keep getting li
and then a cascade of 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 sweeping down the screen.
I was going to try nuni - finally I pulled out an old FreeBSD 3.2 cd-rom
that I had played with on a 486 - it went on sweet as silk.   Dual booted
flawlessly.

Downloaded boot floppy disks of FreeBSD 3.4 and proceeded to ftp  /bin and
/doc from a mirror.  This is on a cable modem mind you, I was not expecting
to be able to do that.  My CD-rom for 3.4 came the next day and I finished
it up.  I don't have mail working yet, but lynx is working quite well as is
ftp.

I intend to reinstall Linux one day in the future.  I have a new Mandrake to
try out.  But it is going to share a swap file with FreeBSD and use the
FreeBSD loader.

Shalom,  Mark Rogness

2. tutorial in postscript

3. 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

4. user authentication

5. Trying to boot, just get "L 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01..."

6. syquest ez 135

7. LILO 01 01 01 01 01 01....

8. dld

9. lilo won't start, sez: L01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01

10. SuSE 7: 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

11. Linux installation problems - 01 01 01 01 01 01 ...

12. What does "01 01 01 01..." mean?

13. L01 01 01 01 01 01 01...