Dial up server (PPP) / accepting PPP connections..

Dial up server (PPP) / accepting PPP connections..

Post by Simon Oake » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am woundering how and what software/configuration you need on RedHat Linux
5.1 to be able to allow other modem users to be able to estiblish a
connection to the linux server via phone.  (i.e. modem to modem connection).

I am also asking if anyone knows how I can dial up my ISP, they use PPP
protocal.  Is there any software to allow for this?

Last thing..  does any one know of a good modem that will work in the Linux
machine?  I was thinking to get the Hayes Accura 56?  is this OK to use?  or
do you know of a better one? at the present I am testing it out on an old
14.4 EXT modem by Hayes.

Many thanks and best Regards,

Simon

p.s.  If possible then please email me as I don't check the newsgroups much.
many thanks.

[...]

Post by James Mos » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

use netcfg and add ppp to the interfaces section

you will need to know the dns servers and also if your isp uses pap
authentication and if you have a static or dynamic ip.

I have DHCP and PAP isp so I left the ip at 0.0.0.0 and entered the primary
and secondry DNS server ip's and activedthe the service. Note that you need
to kill the process or deactivate the service to disconnect. Also becarefull
with the hosts as your box will automatically dial up if it can't locate a
particular host

I did it in 2 minutes and I also read the ppp-howto in the doc/howto
directory

>Hi all,

>I am woundering how and what software/configuration you need on RedHat
Linux
>5.1 to be able to allow other modem users to be able to estiblish a
>connection to the linux server via phone.  (i.e. modem to modem
connection).

>I am also asking if anyone knows how I can dial up my ISP, they use PPP
>protocal.  Is there any software to allow for this?

>Last thing..  does any one know of a good modem that will work in the Linux
>machine?  I was thinking to get the Hayes Accura 56?  is this OK to use?
or
>do you know of a better one? at the present I am testing it out on an old
>14.4 EXT modem by Hayes.

>Many thanks and best Regards,

>Simon

>p.s.  If possible then please email me as I don't check the newsgroups
much.
>many thanks.

Dial up server (PPP) / accepting PPP connections..

Post by David La » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:06:26 +0100, Simon Oakes

>Hi all,

>I am woundering how and what software/configuration you need on RedHat Linux
>5.1 to be able to allow other modem users to be able to estiblish a
>connection to the linux server via phone.  (i.e. modem to modem connection).

I use mgetty to manage my serial lines. With a little careful configuration
of its 'autoppp' feature, it can support the bothersome binary login
protocol of Win95.

Quote:>I am also asking if anyone knows how I can dial up my ISP, they use PPP
>protocal.  Is there any software to allow for this?

RedHat has a nice GUI for configuring networks which includes PPP
configuration. You can also configure the PPP scripts by hand.

Quote:>Last thing..  does any one know of a good modem that will work in the Linux
>machine?  I was thinking to get the Hayes Accura 56?  is this OK to use?  or
>do you know of a better one? at the present I am testing it out on an old
>14.4 EXT modem by Hayes.

An external Courier from USRobotics is my favorite commercial grade modem.
The USRobotics external Sportsters are also nice.

David Lane                           Lexmark International
606-232-2141                         office 6J4/035-2