Write access to Win95 partition from linux

Write access to Win95 partition from linux

Post by Ken » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi all;

  Does anyone know how I can change the access to a mounted Win95
partition so that a non super user can get write access to it? The
access to the Win95 directories show as rwx r-- r--  and chmod does
not change them. If there is a FAQ I should read please point me
in the right direction.

Tia,

Ken K

Write access to Win95 partition from linux

Post by Benn F Franzma » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

man chmod.....

try.......
cd /Win95
chmod -Rf 0002 *
R => recurse directories
f => absolute mode
0002 => allow write access to all

maybe you want to just allow certain groups write access.  You can do
it so check out the man page.

cheers benn.

--

La Trobe University    | web : www.nowhere.com.au/~not-here.html
Bundoora Victoria 3083 | phone : 61 (03) don't call

Post by Mike Stuc » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

:   Does anyone know how I can change the access to a mounted Win95
: partition so that a non super user can get write access to it? The
: access to the Win95 directories show as rwx r-- r--  and chmod does
: not change them. If there is a FAQ I should read please point me
: in the right direction.

Add the drive to your /etc/fstab file and add the "user" option. If you
automatically mount the drive as root, unmount the drive, then mount it
again -as the user-.

Recursive chmods do -not- seem to work, which is unfortunate because this
method only allows two users (the mounting user, and root) to be able to
write to the drive, IIRC.

Give it a "stab" and see what you can come up with!

Mike

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 05 Nov 1997 04:00:00

  Ken> Hi all; Does anyone know how I can change the access to a
  Ken> mounted Win95 partition so that a non super user can get write
  Ken> access to it? The access to the Win95 directories show as rwx
  Ken> r-- r-- and chmod does not change them. If there is a FAQ I
  Ken> should read please point me in the right direction.

man mount

See the section on the option "umask".
Shortcut:-
 PAGER="less +381" man mount

1. Need Write Access to Linux ext-fs from DOS/Win95!

Hi, there,

I tried to re-partition my SCSI HD during the weekend
to recover some space. Somehow, the partition number
for the two Linux partitions (from sda8 & sda9 to
sda6 & sda7). Now Linux won't boot.

I think I have to modify these two files:
lilo.conf
fstab
(is there any files I have to modify?)

Of course, I don't have a Linux boot disk!
Is there any SW out there that allow me to edit these
files from DOS/Win95?

Can I jump to a shell from Redhat 6.1 installation
CD?

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Roger Shum

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. sym8751SPE low performance

3. win95 writes over the linux partition

4. Manual needed!!!

5. How do I read/write files to WIN95 partition from linux??

6. Slow DNS

7. Prob writing to VFAT/Win95 partition from Linux!

8. how to configure httpd.conf to support IPv6?

9. read/write win95 vfat partitions from linux

10. Help accessing win95 disk/partitions in linux!

11. Accessing the Linux partition from Win95

12. Accessing Linux partition from Win95

13. How can I access a Linux Partition from Win95 ???