EIDE Second Hard Drive

Post by Michael Stephens » Sun, 16 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I have a second hard drive that is the first drive on the second
controller.  When I boot from the boot diskette, It finds the drive and
lists its correct geometry calling it /dev/hdc.  Apparently it expects a
/dev/hdb to be the slave drive on the first controller because it puts
out errors for hdb.

Fdisk does not recognize /dev/fdc, says he can't open it.  Is there a
different fdisk that knows about the second EIDE controller?  How can I
get around this problem?  Can I create the partitions with OS/2 and
format them with Linux?

--
* Mike Stephenson           #    #  ####  #####  #####

* CIS: 71542,1033         # ## # ###### #####  #####
* WA0ZRV                 ##  ## #    # #   #  #
* Running OS/2..........#    # #    # #    # #

EIDE Second Hard Drive

Post by Peter Herweij » Wed, 26 Apr 1995 04:00:00

 >Fdisk does not recognize /dev/fdc, says he can't open it.  Is there a
 >different fdisk that knows about the second EIDE controller?

You don't need a different fdisk. fdisk says /dev/hdc can't be opened---
so? Does it exist? What permissions?

 - Peter

EIDE Second Hard Drive

Post by Poon Chak Y » Wed, 03 May 1995 04:00:00

:  >Fdisk does not recognize /dev/fdc, says he can't open it.  Is there a
:  >different fdisk that knows about the second EIDE controller?

: You don't need a different fdisk. fdisk says /dev/hdc can't be opened---
: so? Does it exist? What permissions?

I can get it by using /dev/fd1a instead of /dev/hdc. However, the
Slackware 'setup' seems cannot see my partition on it? (please refer to
my question/problem in this group)

Poon Chak Yau.

EIDE Second Hard Drive

Post by jed » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

>:  >Fdisk does not recognize /dev/fdc, says he can't open it.  Is there
>:  >different fdisk that knows about the second EIDE controller?

>: You don't need a different fdisk. fdisk says /dev/hdc can't be
opened---
>: so? Does it exist? What permissions?

>I can get it by using /dev/fd1a instead of /dev/hdc. However, the
>Slackware 'setup' seems cannot see my partition on it? (please refer to
>my question/problem in this group)

>Poon Chak Yau.

Make sure you are using kernel 1.2.0 or higher.  Otherwise, your kernel
may not have secondary IDE controller support...  LaTeR.

--
LaTeR.
Gary

EIDE Second Hard Drive

Post by Jean-Pierre Rasqu » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: EIDE Second Hard Drive
>Date: 3 May 1995 14:24:38 GMT
>>I can get it by using /dev/fd1a instead of /dev/hdc. However, the
>>Slackware 'setup' seems cannot see my partition on it? (please refer to
>>my question/problem in this group)

>>Poon Chak Yau.
>Make sure you are using kernel 1.2.0 or higher.  Otherwise, your kernel
>may not have secondary IDE controller support...  LaTeR.

Have you already created the devices /dev/hd1a and /dev/hd1b. In case not, try
to do this first.

It works fine for me !

Quote:>--
>LaTeR.
>Gary
>aka Jedi Master

Regards, JP.

1. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

Hi everybody,
I have two hard drives, their capacities are 4.3 Giga byte and 3.2 Giga
byte. And I would like to merge these two hard drives into one hard
drive in order to mount them to directory "/usr" in Linux . But I don 't
know how to do that. please tell me what softwares I can use for that,
and where I can download them as well as how to set up it. If you have
spare time, please tell me as much details as posible.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ha Le (Vietnam)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. sendto problem

3. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

4. Question #2

5. Two hard drives to a single hard drive

6. What's Up with NAMED?

7. EIDE-drive Seagate 1Gb in two drive emulation mode - suggestions?

8. Backup Informix-Online with ADSM

9. can't mount hard second hard drive

10. How can I mirror two hard drives in two different machines?

11. Two OS, two hard drives, one computer

12. Errors on "mkdev hd" to add second EIDE hard disk

13. How to access second EIDE hard disk?