Q: Syquest IDE and Linux

Post by Carsten Sbi » Tue, 25 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi out there,
does someone know how to make linux re-read the partition-table of an
Syquest IDE (als drive d) ? Linux failed accessing the drive ist no disk
is in it on boot-time. The message ist "/dev/hdb1 is not a mount point" if
i try to mount it later.
Does someone know this problem ?

Thanx, Carsten

             "In space there's no beginning and no end, but ..."

Q: Syquest IDE and Linux

Post by gary schreib » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: Hi out there,
: does someone know how to make linux re-read the partition-table of an
: Syquest IDE (als drive d) ? Linux failed accessing the drive ist no disk
: is in it on boot-time. The message ist "/dev/hdb1 is not a mount point" if
: i try to mount it later.
: Does someone know this problem ?

: Thanx, Carsten

: --
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:              "In space there's no beginning and no end, but ..."

I'm also in the same situation that you are.  What is needed is a driver
that can control the cartrige changes.  If there is no driver to
specifically detect the drive and there is no cartridge at boot time, the
drive does not get properly recognized by the system.  Also, the driver
needs to detect the cartrige change and reload the dir tables, etc.

I have no idea on writing a driver at this point, but if I do, you can bet
I'll give it a shot.  We'll just have to see what happens...  LaTeR.

--

        of Desolate Weyr        |

1. Syquest EZ135 IDE and Linux?

I would like to use a Syquest EZ135 IDE removable hard drive under
Linux (and also DOS/Windows).

It will be formatted for MS-DOS and can reside as the master drive
on the second EIDE controller (along with an IDE cdrom) or it can
be the slave on the primary EIDE controller (along with my main
harddrive).

In DOS/Windows I can either:

a) Set the CMOS IDE settings to recognize the EZ135 in which case
   I don't need the Syquest DOS/Windows driver software to recognize
   the drive. And the drive is also easily recognizable under Linux
   with the appropriate /etc/fstab entry. Unfortunately, using this
   method results in the computer hanging at boot time if a cartridge
   is not in the drive (hard drive controller failure).

or

b) Not set the CMOS settings for this drive, and then let the syquest
   DOS software drivers take care of handling the drive. In this case
   if the cartridge is not in the drive at bootup time the system
   boots up fine with no hang and DOS/Windows has no problem accessing
   it. But I don't know how to get Linux to recognize the drive if
   there is no CMOS setting for it.

What is the best way to achieve both booting without a cartridge
in place, and getting Linux to mount it (once a cartrige is in).

--

   Tim Cullip

2. hd partitions....

3. SyQuest EZ-Drive IDE & Linux?

4. help for an extreme linux newbie?

5. Syquest EZ135 Removable IDE model - works with linux?

6. looking for more info

7. Anyone have a Syquest EZ135 IDE drive running on Linux?

8. Message Queues

9. Installation of Linux on a Syquest Internal IDE 135 drive...

10. Wanting to use an internal Syquest IDE EZ135 to run Linux

11. Does Syquest EZ135 (IDE) work with Linux ?

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.

13. IDE Syquest Drive supported?