LILO and a Floppy Boot Disk?

Post by Walter Ega » Tue, 19 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello, I have just installed Slackware's ver 3.0 of Linux. On my
machine I also have 95 and NT.  The NT OS loader if very picky and I
do not wish to mess with it.  I would like to create a boot disk,
that when booted off of, will go right into Linux.  Here's my set-up:

/dev/hda1 >> NT and 95 1.2g
/dev/hdb1 >> (dos fat) files 1.2g
/dev/hdc1 >> Linux native 500m
/dev/hdc2 >> Linux swap 32m
/dev/hdc3 >> (dos fat) files 600m
/dev/hdd  >> EIDE cdrom

I am very unclear on how to setup my system in order to boot linux
off of a floppy.  Do I need lilo?  After configuring the kernal do I
run 'Make' , 'Make Zdisk' , ?.

Thank You,
Walter Egan

LILO and a Floppy Boot Disk?

Post by Philippe Brodier-Yourstone /E » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>Hello, I have just installed Slackware's ver 3.0 of Linux. On my
>>machine I also have 95 and NT.  The NT OS loader if very picky and I
>>do not wish to mess with it.  I would like to create a boot disk,
>>that when booted off of, will go right into Linux.  Here's my set-up:

><snip>

>>I am very unclear on how to setup my system in order to boot linux
>>off of a floppy.  Do I need lilo?  After configuring the kernal do I
>>run 'Make' , 'Make Zdisk' , ?.

>Do "make zImage", copy it to where you want your kernel to reside (normally
>/vmlinuz or /linux, but really, anything you want to call it).  The README
>in /usr/src/linux tells you what to do.  Then, to make a LILO boot floppy,
>put "boot = /dev/fd0" in lilo.conf, and run lilo.

What I do is 'make zImage' and then just copy the zImage file to the floppy
with 'cp zImage /dev/fd0'. It seems to work. No problem. If anybody knows about
potential problems using this method, please let me know!

Cheers,
Philippe.

LILO and a Floppy Boot Disk?

Post by Don Dettk » Wed, 20 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Hello, I have just installed Slackware's ver 3.0 of Linux. On my
>machine I also have 95 and NT.  The NT OS loader if very picky and I
>do not wish to mess with it.  I would like to create a boot disk,
>that when booted off of, will go right into Linux.  Here's my set-up:

<snip>

Quote:>I am very unclear on how to setup my system in order to boot linux

--
Don Dettke,  Software Engineering Consultant

1. Can't create lilo boot floppy for 3rd SCSI disk but can boot it

I have Linux 1.2.8 installed on a IDE /hda2 as root with 2 SCSI disk
drives with MS-DOS and some additional linux partitions on a AHA1542.
I have now got a new SCSI HD and copied all the Linux onto the last SCSI
hard disk (ID:3), hoping to delete the IDE stuff. When I came to
install LILO on a boot floppy, it came up BIOS drive 0x83 may not be
accessible 3 times.

When I boot, I just get garbage but I did manage to re-mount the
/hda2 to / with a SCSI kernel recovery disk and created a SCSI boot
floppy and that works OK. Trouble is that I cannot install LILO
and I will need to change things in the future once I have deleted
my IDE partition. The LILO DOCs do not give specific guidance

Any ideas?

* On the Web: http://www.wlv.ac.uk/~cm4272/home.html *
* "Our Hamburgers are made with beef" - McDonald's   *

2. ndbm and sendmail in POSIX?

3. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

4. customize mouse buttons?

5. Linux-2.4.5-ac16/17/18: floppy driver problem with lilo boot disks?

6. Ati All in Wonder 128 16Mb

7. lilo - same boot sector good from floppy, not from hard disk - how?

8. Drivers for Epson stylus color needed.

9. HOW TO UNINSTALL LILO , and boot with a floppy disk ?

10. lilo on Floppy to Boot Kernel on Fixed disk

11. Boot/root floppy disk with "append" lilo options: How?

12. LILO & floppy boot disk

13. LILO error: Can only boot from floppy, LILO will only start dos not linux