Slackware vs RedHat vs ????

Post by Micha » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hay ya'all,

I am considering getting back into LINUX, as I have the spare
hardware.

It has been awhile since I last played with it (at least a year or 2)
and I was curious if Slackware is still the way to go, or are there
pressing reasons to switch to a diff flavor.

A little  about my application.  I have 3 WinBlows machines that are
networked together and I would add the Linux box to this.  The biggest
problem I had before was finding a LINUX Driver for my USR ISDN TA.
*IF* I can get an ISDN TA Driver for Linux, then I would set up the
Linux Box as a "router" and a mail server.  Maybe even a Web Server.

So, what'chall think??  Slackware??  RedHat??  Denebian??  or  ?????

TIA

Slackware vs RedHat vs ????

Post by Rick Moe » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: It has been awhile since I last played with it (at least a year or 2)
: and I was curious if Slackware is still the way to go, or are there
: pressing reasons to switch to a diff flavor.

Now, _that_ is a religious question.

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!

Slackware vs RedHat vs ????

Post by Rod Roar » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>It has been awhile since I last played with it (at least a year or 2)
>and I was curious if Slackware is still the way to go, or are there
>pressing reasons to switch to a diff flavor....

No pressing reasons.  Red Hat with its RPM-based install is easier
to upgrade, but most of their other attempts at user-friendly add-ons
I have found to be more confusing than helpful.  Certainly this will
improve over time.

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                         Starting at $499

Slackware vs RedHat vs ????

Post by MS » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>>It has been awhile since I last played with it (at least a year or 2)
>>and I was curious if Slackware is still the way to go, or are there
>>pressing reasons to switch to a diff flavor....

>No pressing reasons.  Red Hat with its RPM-based install is easier
>to upgrade, but most of their other attempts at user-friendly add-ons
>I have found to be more confusing than helpful.  Certainly this will
>improve over time.

Forgive my ignorance....

                RPM ????

Slackware vs RedHat vs ????

Post by Rick Moe » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

: Forgive my ignorance....

:               RPM ????

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/RPM-HOWTO.html

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!
rick (at) linuxmafia.com  MuaHaHaHa!" but that would be rude. -- Jim Dennis

1. Slackware vs. Redhat vs. S.U.S.E.

Recently I installed Slackware then S.U.S.E. then Redhat on one of my
partitions.  Slackware and
Redhat seemed to be equally easy to setup.  I had to run xf86config on
Slackware but I also had to
run xf86config on Redhat because it did not  recognize my video card
correctly.  I could not get
S.U.S.E to install without it grinding on the hard disk avery few
seconds.

It seems that Slackware gives a leaner and in my opinion cleaner
installation.  But why is it thought that Redhat is easier to install?

2. HP4L problem solved

3. Slackware vs Redhat vs Caldera

4. Web Site Testing software.

5. slackware vs. redhat vs. all-other dists

6. Unable to start loadable eth0 module...

7. Slackware Vs RedHat Vs Debian

8. pcvt, XFree, and <Ctrl><Alt><Del>

9. recommendations : Slackware vs Redhat vs FreeBSD

10. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

11. Opinion Poll? SUSE vs SLACKWARE vs REDHAT vs DEBIAN vs CALDERA

12. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

13. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...