Corel - Deactivating Xwindows startup

Post by Howard Nugen » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I don't want KDE/KDM to start up automatically when I boot. I know I can
change the runlevel in /etc/inittab but it's at runlevel 2 now and
runlevel 1 is single user. Does anyone hav a quick fix? I could start
modifying /etc/rcX.d to remove pieces but I'd rather not yet.

Thanks,
Howard Nugent
semi-newbie

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I don't want KDE/KDM to start up automatically when I boot. I know I can
> change the runlevel in /etc/inittab but it's at runlevel 2 now and
> runlevel 1 is single user. Does anyone hav a quick fix? I could start
> modifying /etc/rcX.d to remove pieces but I'd rather not yet.

> Thanks,
> Howard Nugent
> semi-newbie

> --

Try "linux 3"

ID # 123538

Corel - Deactivating Xwindows startup

Post by Howard Nugen » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I don't want KDE/KDM to start up automatically when I boot. I know I can
> change the runlevel in /etc/inittab but it's at runlevel 2 now and
> runlevel 1 is single user. Does anyone hav a quick fix? I could start
> modifying /etc/rcX.d to remove pieces but I'd rather not yet.

> Thanks,
> Howard Nugent
> semi-newbie

> --

I haven't tried Linux 3 as David suggested, but I did accomplish my task
by doing the following.
In /etc/rc3.d there is a file S99kdm
I renamed it to X99kdm so it's ignored by the init process. Now X windows
no longer starts on boot. All I have to do to start it is type
# startx and it runs as normal.

Corel - Deactivating Xwindows startup

Post by David . » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I haven't tried Linux 3 as David suggested, but I did accomplish my task
> by doing the following.
> In /etc/rc3.d there is a file S99kdm
> I renamed it to X99kdm so it's ignored by the init process. Now X windows
> no longer starts on boot. All I have to do to start it is type
> # startx and it runs as normal.

Using "linux 3" is supposed to boot to text console.
The S99kdm file should be K99kdm in rc3.d

S for start
K for kill

ID # 123538

1. Kill COREL; Kill COREL; Kill COREL; ...

Okay, maybe I'm out of the loop, but I did not realized until today that
Corel had totally killed development of Corel products for Linux.  And then
I see a photo of Bill Gates shaking the hand of Corel's CEO/President. Umm,
what a surprise! And I'm supposed to assumed that there is no relationship
between this and the $$ that Micro$oft gave to Corel a few months ago.

As far as I'm concerned, Corel died.

I actually bought the last few versions of the WP Suite for Linux and
Windows. But that's it! No more! Either companies stick with Linux or they
can go to hell. Thus, I definitely sponsor people to do the same.

DON'T BUY COREL STUFF EVER AGAIN!!!

If I ever hear anyone at work proposing to buy anything from Corel, I will
seriously push for anything other than that.

I hope that within the next five years this company goes out of business.
Actually, lets make it happen!

DON'T BUY COREL STUFF EVER AGAIN!!!

2. how to use nntp across firewalls ??

3. 402 & Corel/Debian - KDE startup

4. vxfs quotas

5. Corel WP7 startup problem

6. Expect, Tcl, and Tk for Linux

7. Removing Xwindows from start-up (How???)

8. 2 ether cards and a Cable Modem

9. XWindows loading on startup

10. Question on xwindows and startup files

11. Xwindows startup

12. Q: Newbie: Booting into Xwindows after startup on a B&W G3.

13. Newbie Q: Xwindows startup problems