SCSI module insert using /etc/conf.modules problem

SCSI module insert using /etc/conf.modules problem

Post by Vivek Gupt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

        I am using Redhat 6.0. I bought Adaptec SCSI card and connected HP Dat
drive and Mustek scanner to it. M$ Windows 98 recognizes card and
peripherals pretty well.
        In Linux, If I insert aic7xxx module using insmod then it recognizes HP
Dat Drive pretty well but not Mustek scanner. With my Mustek scanner a
scsi card came. If I use that SCSI card then my scanner is recognized by
Linux but not by Adaptec card. What may be the problem ?

        If I want the module to be loaded during the boot up time, then I
started control-panel in GNOME and added the module but when my machine
boots up then it SCSI module is not loaded I don't know why?
I tried adding a line in /etc/conf.modules then also the module is not
loaded. I tried modprobe command then also module is not loaded. I don't
know why?

Please help...

Thanks in advance,

Vivek

Post by bill davids » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

|       I am using Redhat 6.0. I bought Adaptec SCSI card and connected HP Dat
| drive and Mustek scanner to it. M$ Windows 98 recognizes card and
| peripherals pretty well.
|       In Linux, If I insert aic7xxx module using insmod then it recognizes HP
| Dat Drive pretty well but not Mustek scanner. With my Mustek scanner a
| scsi card came. If I use that SCSI card then my scanner is recognized by
| Linux but not by Adaptec card. What may be the problem ?

You do have the devices on separate SCSI-ids, do you not? You have
proper termination? When you load the module you should see all
(properly) connected devices.

Are these devices the proper type? That is, is the DAT so old it's
SCSI-I or something? In general the SCSI cards with scanners are really
grim, it's worth making the AHA work.

--

  When taking small children to a carnival, always have them go potty
*before* you let them go on the rides, and let them eat all the junk

SCSI module insert using /etc/conf.modules problem

Post by Vivek Gupt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Bill,
        Thanks for the Reply....
Actually in Windows everything works...
I mean the scanner and the tape drive works.
So, the devices are OK and hardware connection, ids and termination is
there.

But Linux only identifies the Tape Drive....
The scsi id's of both the devices are different...
Tape is 1 and Scanner is 6.

Well Loading scsi module at the time of boot is fixed.

The only issue I am facing is Scanner is not getting
recognized in Linux environment with Adaptec 2940 SCSI card.
It used to work with only card.

Any suggestings...

Thanks in advance,

Vivek

> |       I am using Redhat 6.0. I bought Adaptec SCSI card and connected HP Dat
> | drive and Mustek scanner to it. M$ Windows 98 recognizes card and
> | peripherals pretty well.
> |       In Linux, If I insert aic7xxx module using insmod then it recognizes HP
> | Dat Drive pretty well but not Mustek scanner. With my Mustek scanner a
> | scsi card came. If I use that SCSI card then my scanner is recognized by
> | Linux but not by Adaptec card. What may be the problem ?

> You do have the devices on separate SCSI-ids, do you not? You have
> proper termination? When you load the module you should see all
> (properly) connected devices.

> Are these devices the proper type? That is, is the DAT so old it's
> SCSI-I or something? In general the SCSI cards with scanners are really
> grim, it's worth making the AHA work.

> --

>   When taking small children to a carnival, always have them go potty
> *before* you let them go on the rides, and let them eat all the junk
> food and candy *after*.

1. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

Just upgraded my RH6.2 box to kernel 2.2.18 (in conjunction with
applying vpn masq patch).  Now I notice that it complains about
conf.modules, so I renamed this to conf.modules.old and made a copy as
modules.conf.  Now it complains that modules.conf is newer than
modules.dep.  And, in any case, it doesn't seem to load my modules
(specifically 3c509.o for ethernet).

My present workaround is just to manually invoke this module (modprobe
3c509) and restart /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (as well as dhcpd and
named), but I know there's gotta be a "Right Way" of doing this.

What's different between 2.2.18 and my old kernel (2.2.14-5.0) in
terms of handling these files?  And, more importantly, how do I
correct this situation?  Many thanks, in advance.

2. Netatalk under RedHat 5.0

3. Load three modules with /etc/modules.conf?

4. user space i/o under mips platform

5. conf.modules & modules.conf

6. Problems with Slackware 3.5

7. Diff b/t conf.modules and modules.conf

8. Nameserver cache

9. 2 SCSI hosts in /etc/modules.conf?

10. rebuild /etc/conf.modules from scratch- HOW???

11. Missing /etc/conf.modules

12. HELP Wiped Out /etc/conf.modules

13. /etc/conf.modules syntax for sound