mounting & using WinNT partition

Post by Craig Kelle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am able to mount WinNT partition under Linux (using all accounts), but
> only root can access it after mounting it.  So, I can't use it with my
> personal account(can mount/umount)..

> This is /etc/fstab:

> devpts /etv/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> /proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto,exec 0 0
> /dev/hda1 /mnt/winnt ntfs defaults,user,noauto 0 0
> /dev/hda5 /boot ext2 defaults 1 5
> /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda7 / ext2 defaults 1 7

> I tried changing permissions, but as soon as I mount/unmount the winnt
> partition, it goes back to wrx------ ......
> What can I do to fix this?

man mount

You can set the mode=0777 or somesuch to force a particular
permission.  You can also setuid=xxx to some user if you prefer.

Post by Jinho Cho » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am able to mount WinNT partition under Linux (using all accounts), but
only root can access it after mounting it.  So, I can't use it with my
personal account(can mount/umount)..

This is /etc/fstab:

devpts /etv/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/winnt ntfs defaults,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda5 /boot ext2 defaults 1 5
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7 / ext2 defaults 1 7

I tried changing permissions, but as soon as I mount/unmount the winnt
partition, it goes back to wrx------ ......
What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance

mounting & using WinNT partition

Post by Le Trieu Duon » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have the same question but with Win98 partitions. Only when I log in
as root I can then write to the win98 partitions. Others users can only
read from them. (I let my system auto mount win98 partitions when boot
up).

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I have the same question but with Win98 partitions. Only when I log in
: as root I can then write to the win98 partitions. Others users can only
: read from them. (I let my system auto mount win98 partitions when boot
: up).

This is a FAQ. Please check the group archives, or the FAQ?

:> I am able to mount WinNT partition under Linux (using all accounts), but
:> only root can access it after mounting it.  So, I can't use it with my
:> personal account(can mount/umount)..
:>
:> This is /etc/fstab:
:>
:> /dev/hda1 /mnt/winnt ntfs defaults,user,noauto 0 0
                             ^^^^^^^^ !!!!! your problem.

:> I tried changing permissions, but as soon as I mount/unmount the winnt
:> partition, it goes back to wrx------ ......
:> What can I do to fix this?

Nothing - it's what you're asking it to do and its the perms that a fat
system has available. There's nothing wrong, hence nothing to fix. If
you don't like that, don't do that. Mounting it yourself instead of
mounting it as root would "fix" your access difficulty.

Peter

mounting & using WinNT partition

Post by Jinho Cho » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> : I have the same question but with Win98 partitions. Only when I log in
> :> /dev/hda1 /mnt/winnt ntfs defaults,user,noauto 0 0
>                              ^^^^^^^^ !!!!! your problem.

I tried "ro" instead of "defaults", but still doesn't work...  What
other options??

Quote:> :> I tried changing permissions, but as soon as I mount/unmount the winnt
> :> partition, it goes back to wrx------ ......
> :> What can I do to fix this?

> Nothing - it's what you're asking it to do and its the perms that a fat
> system has available. There's nothing wrong, hence nothing to fix. If
> you don't like that, don't do that. Mounting it yourself instead of
> mounting it as root would "fix" your access difficulty.

I don't understand what you are trying to say...  Could you explain more
precisely instead of being "sarcastic"..  I'm a newbie here, so most of
the time, I don't know what the hell I'm doing..

mounting & using WinNT partition

Post by mike burrel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I am able to mount WinNT partition under Linux (using all accounts), but
> only root can access it after mounting it.  So, I can't use it with my
> personal account(can mount/umount)..
> I tried changing permissions, but as soon as I mount/unmount the winnt
> partition, it goes back to wrx------ ......
> What can I do to fix this?

are you mounting read-only or using the (very dangerous) read-write NTFS
linux driver?  if it's just read-only, then you can't expect any changes you
make to take effect.

also, unlike FAT, NTFS actually does have permissions.  these permissions
are 0700 by default, i believe.  if your drive is read-only in Linux, then
you'll have to change the permissions in NT itself (and i don't know how to
change file permissions in NT).  also note that permissions in NT and
permissions in Unix are not compatible.  permissions in Unix go
user/group/other whereas permissions in NT go local/workgroup/other.

i could be wrong, though.

--
             /"\                                m i k e    b u r r e l l

              X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
             / \

mounting & using WinNT partition

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:> I am able to mount WinNT partition under Linux (using all accounts), but
:> only root can access it after mounting it.  So, I can't use it with my
:> personal account(can mount/umount)..

:> I tried changing permissions, but as soon as I mount/unmount the winnt
:> partition, it goes back to wrx------ ......
:> What can I do to fix this?

: are you mounting read-only or using the (very dangerous) read-write NTFS
: linux driver?  if it's just read-only, then you can't expect any changes you
: make to take effect.

I assumed he meant a vfat partition, but now that you mention it, yes
it does look like he is talking about ntfs! Owwwww!

: also, unlike FAT, NTFS actually does have permissions.  these permissions
: are 0700 by default, i believe.  if your drive is read-only in Linux, then
: you'll have to change the permissions in NT itself (and i don't know how to
: change file permissions in NT).  also note that permissions in NT and
: permissions in Unix are not compatible.  permissions in Unix go
: user/group/other whereas permissions in NT go local/workgroup/other.

: i could be wrong, though.

Certainly whenever I've tried writing to an ntfs, it's snapped it in
half. I understand you can replace file contents with different
contents of the same size, but not much else.

Peter

Post by Scott McPe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I am able to mount WinNT partition under Linux (using all accounts), but
> only root can access it after mounting it.  So, I can't use it with my
> personal account(can mount/umount)..

Here are the relevant lines from my /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1      /dosc         vfat       rw,uid=1000,gid=100    1   0
/dev/hda5      /nt           ntfs       ro,uid=1000,gid=100    0   0

This makes it so all the files are owned, and therefore accessible, by
me (uid 1000, gid 100).  Do "id" to find your uid and gid.

-Scott

1. 250G partition - can't mount it (partition & format good)

Hi,

My new 250G IDE drive just arrived.  And, first steps looked pretty
good: controller found it, SuSE YaST was able to configure the drive
as one single primary partition using the full disk size and format it
using ext2.  Just when I try to mount it, I happen to get this error:

servername# mount -t ext2 /dev/hdg1 /mountpoint
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdg1
       or too many mounted file systems

As soon as I configure partitions below 128G, those work fine and can
be mounted without any hassle - just, that's not the solution I am
seeking for.  The system is a Celeron-733 on an Asus TUSL2-C, the
drive is connected to the second ide port of a Promise Ultra-100 TX2
PCI controller.  OS is SuSE 7.3 running kernel 2.4.10

I could now split the drive in more partitions than one - but if
anyhow possible without hardware investments I'd like to use the drive
as a single, big partition.  If a new Promise would *definitely* help,
that'd also be a good solution.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Martin

2. SCSI Performance

3. Access WinNT files from Linux using UNC names (not mounts)

4. Linux isn't seeing all of my RAM

5. Win98, WinNT and Linux on system: setup & partitioning

6. i/o card problem

7. Using WD1007 with DOS partitions & Adaptec 1542B with Linux partitions

8. error message

9. Linux & Netware & Pathworks & WinNT

10. chroot && mount -o bind && security

11. Linux & WinNT & Netware ?

12. Possible WIn'95 & WinNT workstation & Linux on 1 machine???

13. Can't write to linux dos partition mounted using nfs