READ-ONLY File System

Post by Victor Tya » Mon, 05 Feb 1996 04:00:00

All my filesystems have been changed to READ-ONLY and I cannot do anything once
I boot into Linux. Does anybody know how to change the filesystems back to their
normal state ?? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

READ-ONLY File System

Post by William B. Hau » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: All my filesystems have been changed to READ-ONLY and I cannot do anything once
: I boot into Linux. Does anybody know how to change the filesystems back to their
: normal state ?? Any help greatly appreciated.

: Thanks.

this happened to me a few times.  once when i repartitioned and didn't
make the new filesystem so the inodes where incorrect.  to fix that i
booted with floppy boot and root disks and ran the setup and formatted
the new partitions from there.

the other times it went read-only was because of time.  it apparently
makes the kernel check the inodes on boot every once in a while.

sorry i can't help further...

good luck...
bill

READ-ONLY File System

Post by Robert Woodco » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>: All my filesystems have been changed to READ-ONLY and I cannot do anything once
>: I boot into Linux. Does anybody know how to change the filesystems back to their
>: normal state ?? Any help greatly appreciated.
>this happened to me a few times.  once when i repartitioned and didn't
>make the new filesystem so the inodes where incorrect.  to fix that i
>booted with floppy boot and root disks and ran the setup and formatted
>the new partitions from there.
>the other times it went read-only was because of time.  it apparently
>makes the kernel check the inodes on boot every once in a while.

That's the ext2.fsck program. If it checks a read-write filesystem, *bad* things
can happen. So it mounts it read-only for checking, then tries to remount it
read-write. Apparently this remount failed. If you tell the kernel to initially
mount the filesystem read-write, it will skip the fsck and you'll have a read-write
system. In lilo or loadlin, add the rw parameter.

If you can't do that, try this command:

mount -nt ext2 /dev/hda7 / -o remount
               ^^^^^^^^^
This is my machine's root partition, adjust for your machine!
--

Entropy isn't what it used to be.

1. Install problems: missing files, read-only file system

I down loaded from sunsite all the modules - color144, bare and the
a1-a4 set. Installed on my PC (P90, 1GB IDE, 200MB Linux partition).
Upon running "setup", received warnings "missing package" for every
a1-a4 disk. (Installed "a" from hard drive). Installation completed.

Linux boot rel 1.1.59. I receive messages such as
/etc/rc.d/rc.S: /sbin/update: no such file or directory

and messages "read-only fiel system".

I have tried to search everywhere (news groups, HOWTO's, FAQ's, README)
and found only couple of postings with similar problems but no responses.

I compared my downloaded file to the sunsite - I have everything.

Appriciate any help.

All results will be summarized.

2. How to set up a test domain

3. ...dup2: Bad file descriptor [FAILED] .../dev/null: Read-only file system

4. Cannot detect my adaptec 2940

5. HELP --- Read-only file system

6. change console picture definition

7. RH5 CD install fail: read-only file system

8. Citrix ICA Client Window Size / Position

9. Help: fd0 - read-only file system

10. Help!! Read-only file system

11. Read-only file system after power outage and reboot

12. Read-only file system: where is this described?

13. obscure read-only file system remount bug with 2.4 kernel