RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

Post by Pete Ritte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Metrobook II  Laptop -
    233 mHz PII
    80MB RAM
    Logitech GlidePoint touch pad
    TEAC CD220E CDROM drive
    1.4 GB HDD

I try to install RH 6.1 from CD from the new RHEA-044 boot disk.  It
says it finds a PS/2 port (is this the touch pad?).

If I give no parameters to the boot: prompt, it continues to read the
CD, the screen turns blue, it continues to read the CD and then it
freezes.  The only way out is the power switch.

If I give "text" to the boot: prompt, it reads the CD, offers me a
choice of languages and freezes.

With Mandrake, I can choose language and keyboard and the CD is read for
all the packages.  It says something like "some sort of PS/2 device
found on psaux" and freezes.

I've searched the "linux on a laptop" sites and can't fine the Metrobook
mentioned.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
____________

Sr. Software Engineer
Fluke Corporation - Networks Division
  (formerly Communications Technology Corp)
Dallas, Texas

RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

I failed to mention that everything works fine when it's booted to WIN98.

--
____________

Sr. Software Engineer
Fluke Corporation - Networks Division
  (formerly Communications Technology Corp)
Dallas, Texas

RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

Post by Pete Ritte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Metrobook II  Laptop -
>     233 mHz PII
>     80MB RAM
>     Logitech GlidePoint touch pad
>     TEAC CD220E CDROM drive
>     1.4 GB HDD

> I try to install RH 6.1 from CD from the new RHEA-044 boot disk.  It
> says it finds a PS/2 port (is this the touch pad?).

> If I give no parameters to the boot: prompt, it continues to read the
> CD, the screen turns blue, it continues to read the CD and then it
> freezes.  The only way out is the power switch.

Well, quite by chance I hit the "screen stretch" key (Fn-F3) and up popped
RH's graphical intallation intro.
I was able to continue installation and now have RH6.1 running!
Unfortunatley, everytime I startx
I have to hit the same key combination to go from the empty blue screen to
the desktop.

Quote:

> If I give "text" to the boot: prompt, it reads the CD, offers me a
> choice of languages and freezes.

> With Mandrake, I can choose language and keyboard and the CD is read for
> all the packages.  It says something like "some sort of PS/2 device
> found on psaux" and freezes.

The "screen stretch" key does not help here.  But I'm a happy camper since
I did get RH installed.

--
____________

Sr. Software Engineer
Fluke Corporation - Networks Division
  (formerly Communications Technology Corp)
Dallas, Texas

RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

Post by arcta » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>> With Mandrake, I can choose language and keyboard and the CD is read for
>> all the packages.  It says something like "some sort of PS/2 device
>> found on psaux" and freezes.

Strangely enough, I get the same problem with RedHat 6.0, where I go through
the installation, get a message saying "Probin - found some type of PS/2
mouse on port psaux" and the system freezes. I do not have a laptop. I have
a Desktop PC, Pentium 133. I didn't get this problem when I tried to install
a previous version of RedHat. But that didn't have the drivers for my video
card at the time. Can't win, can you.

Anyone have any idea what might cause this?

Simon Huggins.