append ="128M" doesn't work

Post by ido » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:16:54

Hi,
I added the above line to my lilo.conf file but still, after checking using
top, I see that I only have 64M. (I do see the computer count to 128M at the
startup...)
I'm using redhat 6.2
any suggestions ?

-i

append ="128M" doesn't work

Post by Davide Bianc » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:27:37

>Hi,
>I added the above line to my lilo.conf file but still, after checking using
>top, I see that I only have 64M. (I do see the computer count to 128M at the
>startup...)
>I'm using redhat 6.2
>any suggestions ?

Have you updated lilo typing "lilo" at the prompt after added the line
to the lilo.conf ?
Davide

append ="128M" doesn't work

Post by Iain All » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:27:07

> Hi,
> I added the above line to my lilo.conf file but still, after checking using
> top, I see that I only have 64M. (I do see the computer count to 128M at the
> startup...)
> I'm using redhat 6.2
> any suggestions ?

I had a similar problem a few months ago.  What fixed it for me was to place
it lower in the file.  Someone suggested that something else needed to load
first, but I forget the details.

BTW, I don't need this anymore...I updated my BIOS.  Maybe you should look
for a similar fix.

                Iain...

  Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada.

append ="128M" doesn't work

Post by Harold O » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:02:46

Quote:>Hi,
>I added the above line to my lilo.conf file but still, after checking
>using top, I see that I only have 64M. (I do see the computer count to
>128M at the startup...)
>I'm using redhat 6.2
>any suggestions ?

Hi,
   Did you also re-run lilo after you edited lilo.conf?  Just editing the
lilo.conf file by itself will not change anything.

-Harold
--
"Life sucks, deal with it!"

append ="128M" doesn't work

Post by The Dr » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:41:50

Your syntax is incorrect.  Please take the time to read the
documentation.  All this and more is typed up nice and neat in the FAQ
and HOWTOs.   If you don't want to read the docs that installed, then
take the time to look at the Redhat website.
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/faqs/rhl_general_faq/FAQ-7.html#ss7.1

>Hi,
>I added the above line to my lilo.conf file but still, after checking using
>top, I see that I only have 64M. (I do see the computer count to 128M at the
>startup...)
>I'm using redhat 6.2
>any suggestions ?

>-i

append ="128M" doesn't work

Post by ido » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:27:57

Thank you all,

What worked for me is bios update.

Quote:> Hi,
> I added the above line to my lilo.conf file but still, after checking
using
> top, I see that I only have 64M. (I do see the computer count to 128M at
the
> startup...)
> I'm using redhat 6.2
> any suggestions ?

> -i

1. LILO append="mem=128M" Doesn't Work

Hi All --

I recently set up RedHat Linux on a 300 MHz Pentium II with 128M RAM.
My Phoenix BIOS recognizes the full 128MB, however the "free" command in
Linux only shows 64MB (as expected).  I added the line append="128MB" to
various portions of my /etc/lilo.conf and the OS neither crashed nor did
it recognize my 128MB of RAM.  I also tried the various offsets listed
in the HOWTO for this problem and was equally unsuccessful.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry
UC San Diego * McCammon Research Group
619/534-2798 * http://chemcca10.ucsd.edu/~nbaker/

2. How to select printer input tray?

3. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

4. PrintQUEUER source

5. cant get SB16ASP SCSI installation right

6. append="mem=128M" Not Working!

7. split worked fine How do I put them back togeather?

8. append="mem=128M" Not working.

9. lilo in WinNT w/append="mem=128M" not working.

10. append="mem=128M" not working!

11. FTP works, but "ls" or "dir" doesn't ???

12. Linux not recognizing > 64M memory IN SPITE OF append="mem=128M"