Redhat 5.1 installation on a Thinkpad 385ed

Redhat 5.1 installation on a Thinkpad 385ed

Post by First Las » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install Redhat 5.1 on a ThinkPad 385ed.
My cdrom is built into the laptop so no PCMCIA support
is needed in the installation.  When I tried to boot with the
floppy, I got right in to the initial screen asking what mode.
I got to the first screen asking if it was a new installation
or an upgrade.  I chose new installation.  Then it asked
me to chose a language, I chose US.  Then after that, it looks
like it trys to probe, finds what looks to be PCMCIA and
restarts my system.   Any ideas??

Bill

1. floppy problems with redhat 5.1 on thinkpad (help!)

I've just installed RedHat 5.1 on a brand new thinkpad 770 and I'm
experiencing no end of joy with floppy drive.  I've been trying to
find answers in the various docs, and I'm  now booting with loadlin:
        loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 floppy=thinkpad floppy=0,daring

My goal is to read an old tar archive on a floppy (made on a computer
that has since bit the dust).  The following sequence is typical:

dd: /dev/fd0: Input/output error
36+0 records in
36+0 records out07:42:57

dd: /dev/fd0: Device not configured

If I do "tar xfv ./image", I recover a couple of files but I don't
know if anything else is on the disk (I have some multi-volume
archives with more relevent data, waiting for things to get
strightened out).

After the first error, any attempt to use the drive gives the device
not configured error.  The only cure is to reboot (and if I wanted to
reboot every hour, I'd have used...).

Is there any way to clear the drive error without rebooting?

Is there anything else I could be doing to recover the data?

Thanks,

Morris
--

Spammers beware: I may respond in a way you _won't_ like

RANDOM FORTUNE COOKIE:
To err is human.
To blame someone else for your mistakes is even more human.

2. Installing the FREE SCO Open Server Release 5

3. to make D-Link DFE 650 work on IBM ThinkPad 1411 under RedHat 5.1

4. Compile error with ACE

5. Need Help: Setup Redhat 5.1 on IBM Thinkpad Model 390

6. Plotter questions

7. ThinkPad 760EL, RedHat 5.1 and Xfree86 3.3.2

8. Want keyboard suggestions for Linux

9. RedHat 5.1 on the THinkPad 701C

10. RedHat 5.1 & ThinkPad 380XD

11. RedHat 5.1 on the Thinkpad 701c

12. followup: floppy problems on thinkpad 770 (redhat 5.1)

13. RedHat 5.1 Install On ThinkPad 380D (Constant reboot)