RH7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

RH7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

Post by ow » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 12:42:47



I am trying to install RH 7.2 on the following system:
AMD Athlon 1.13 GHz
Asus A7V motherboard with KT133A chipset and Promise RAID controller (HD is
connected to UDMA controller, nothing is connected to RAID controller at
this point)
784MB RAM
WesternDigital 4.3 GB HD
Matrox G400 VCard
Generic CD-ROM

It appears that installation hangs due to some problem related to HD. I
installed W2K on this system for test purposes and it works without any
problems. The following info is printed by the installation program:
....
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide: Assuming 33MHz PCI bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686b (rev40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci0:4.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
PDC20265: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 88
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:11.0
PDC20265: chipset revision 2
PDC20265: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20265: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x8400-0x8407, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x8408-0x840f, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:DMA
hda: WDC AC34300L, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CR-2801TE, ATAPI DVD/CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 8406720 sectors (4304 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=523/255/63, UDMA(33)
hdc: ATAPI 8X CD-ROM CD-R drive, 512kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
ide-floppy driver 0.97
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 (installation hangs here)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

 
 
 

RH7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

Post by Gerhard Kowa » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:00:09


ow schrieb:
Quote:

> I am trying to install RH 7.2 on the following system:
> AMD Athlon 1.13 GHz
> Asus A7V motherboard with KT133A chipset and Promise RAID controller (HD is
> connected to UDMA controller, nothing is connected to RAID controller at
> this point)

disable raidcontroller in bios

 
 
 

RH7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

Post by ow » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:42:08


Disabled "Onboard ATA BIOS" option in BIOS. Boot process is no longer
checking if any devices are attached to the RAID controller. RH installation
still hangs on the Partition check. Thanks


Quote:> ow schrieb:

> > I am trying to install RH 7.2 on the following system:
> > AMD Athlon 1.13 GHz
> > Asus A7V motherboard with KT133A chipset and Promise RAID controller (HD
is
> > connected to UDMA controller, nothing is connected to RAID controller at
> > this point)
> disable raidcontroller in bios

 
 
 

RH7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

Post by Brian Hi » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:49:33



> I am trying to install RH 7.2 on the following system:
> AMD Athlon 1.13 GHz
> Asus A7V motherboard with KT133A chipset and Promise RAID controller (HD is
> connected to UDMA controller, nothing is connected to RAID controller at
> this point)
> 784MB RAM
> WesternDigital 4.3 GB HD
> Matrox G400 VCard
> Generic CD-ROM

> It appears that installation hangs due to some problem related to HD. I
> installed W2K on this system for test purposes and it works without any
> problems. The following info is printed by the installation program:
> ....
> VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
> VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
> VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide: Assuming 33MHz PCI bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
> VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686b (rev40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci0:4.1
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> PDC20265: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 88
> PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:11.0
> PDC20265: chipset revision 2
> PDC20265: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PDC20265: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0x8400-0x8407, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
>     ide3: BM-DMA at 0x8408-0x840f, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:DMA
> hda: WDC AC34300L, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: CR-2801TE, ATAPI DVD/CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: 8406720 sectors (4304 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=523/255/63, UDMA(33)
> hdc: ATAPI 8X CD-ROM CD-R drive, 512kB Cache
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> ide-floppy driver 0.97
> Partition check:
>  hda: hda1 (installation hangs here)

> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

How many partitions are there on /dev/hda?  If there are more than
one, it's possible that the disk's partition table may be corrupt.
 
 
 

RH7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

Post by ow » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:30:02


One partition, just installed W2K on it, W2K works fine, it's very unlikely
that partition table is corrupt.


Quote:> How many partitions are there on /dev/hda?  If there are more than
> one, it's possible that the disk's partition table may be corrupt.

 
 
 

RH7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

Post by Date Noorl » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 05:45:13


You got only one partition? Then were is Linux supposed to go?

Did you go through the steps of partitioning your hard drive before
attempting to install Linux? If so, please post your partition table
(command "p" in fdisk).


> One partition, just installed W2K on it, W2K works fine, it's very unlikely
> that partition table is corrupt.



> > How many partitions are there on /dev/hda?  If there are more than
> > one, it's possible that the disk's partition table may be corrupt.

 
 
 

RH7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

Post by ow » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 06:46:36


Please read the original message. If you do, you'll see that RH7.2
installation hangs before I get a chance to partition the drive under Linix.


Quote:> You got only one partition? Then were is Linux supposed to go?

> Did you go through the steps of partitioning your hard drive before
> attempting to install Linux? If so, please post your partition table
> (command "p" in fdisk).

 
 
 

1. RH 7.2 installation hangs on "Partition check:"

I am trying to install RH 7.2 on the following system:
AMD Athlon 1.13 GHz
Asus A7V motherboard with KT133A chipset and Promise RAID controller (HD is
connected to UDMA controller, nothing is connected to RAID controller at
this point)
784MB RAM
WesternDigital 4.3 GB HD
Matrox G400 VCard
Generic CD-ROM

It appears that installation hangs due to some problem related to HD. I
installed W2K on this system for test purpose and it works without any
problems. The following info is printed by the installation program:
....
VP_IDE: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 21
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide: Assuming 33MHz PCI bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686b (rev40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci0:4.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd800-0xd807, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd808-0xd80f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
PDC20265: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 88
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:11.0
PDC20265: chipset revision 2
PDC20265: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PDC20265: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x8400-0x8407, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x8408-0x840f, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:DMA
hda: WDC AC34300L, ATA DISK drive
hdc: CR-2801TE, ATAPI DVD/CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: 8406720 sectors (4304 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=523/255/63, UDMA(33)
hdc: ATAPI 8X CD-ROM CD-R drive, 512kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
ide-floppy driver 0.97
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 (installation hangs here)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Slackware and dhcpc hostname

3. Z-modem upload and download - Linux 1.1.80

4. GETSERVBYNAME()????????????????????"""""""""""""

5. Linux and font licenses

6. boot hangs during "partition check"

7. Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PCI: Good?

8. """"""""My SoundBlast 16 pnp isn't up yet""""""""""""

9. Unix/linux "installation user" vs MS Windows "installation user".

10. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

11. RH7.1 install fails w/ "operation not permitted" "install exited abnormally"

12. Combining NATD with IPFW's "keep-state" and "check-state" rules