different X config files depending docked/undocked

different X config files depending docked/undocked

Post by timpi » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 20:10:55

Hello there,

I recently installed Suse 7.2 on my laptop (Compaq M700). I configured X
using sax2 and it works for the LCD display.
Of course this does not work when the Laptop is docked with a Compaq V70
monitor. So I set up a config file for the
docked situation and this works as well.  I backed up the file
(/etc/X11/XF86Config) for both situations and I wanted
to copy the desired file to the config location and start the X server
it reports "No Screen Found" in /var/log/XFree86.log!
Apparently this is not the way it should be done, so now I end up
configuring X each time I dock or undock! I am sure there
is a way around this, but I haven't found anything in the FAQ. I am also
sure there is a way to merge the 2 configs since
it worked with Red Had 2.6 (that was however on a different portable
Compaq Armada 1700)!  Can anyone of you give me some pointers on how to
handle this !?

Thankx a bunch,

Tim

1. XFree86 on a Toshiba notebook PC undocked and then docked to a Revolution graphics card?

Will I be able to set up XFree86 v 3.3.2, on a Toshiba Tecra 730XCDT
notebook computer, to use an 'XFree86-supported' graphics card in a Toshiba
'DeskStation V Plus' docking unit?

I have XFree86 3.3.1 running nicely on my Tecra 730XCDT's CT65550 chipset,
in 1024 x 768 mode., undocked. Now I would like to put the Tecra into its
docking station where there is a Number 9 'Revolution 3D' graphics card.
This Number 9 card is supported by the new XFree86 3.3.2 software. However,
I do not know if it is possible to have two XFree86 configurations: one for
the undocked state and one for the docked state. How would I install and
switch between them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

--
Christopher Spry

2. Lindows?

3. Docked versus undocked: RH7.3 on Dell Latitude C840

4. E-Mail Server

5. docking/undocking laptop

6. Ignore specific hosts in log files ?

7. Different css file depending on which browser is being used using Apache

8. Qmail Question

9. REALLY tricky question: different files depending on system

10. Using a Laptop in different network environments and with different hardware configs

11. different window managers/environs/configs on different workstations

12. Different ip-source-address depending on destination possible?

13. df prints different things depending on runlevel