tar 1.11.8 segfaults in 2.0.32

Post by Adoram Roge » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Two of my machines are running 2.0.32 in the last couple of weeks
and they both get a Segmentation Fault when I try to restore something
from a tar file.
Running tar on the linux kernel source tree works so it must be one of
my options (see below).
Running the same tar command, same version of tar and same tar archive
on a 1.2.13 machine runs fine. (sorry, but I have no other 2.0.X machine).

My command is: tar --atime-preserve -xspvzf /cdrom/foo ...

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Adoram

(Remove all the NOSPAM from my email address, and please CC me on your
 answers, Thanks.)

tar 1.11.8 segfaults in 2.0.32

Post by Andrew Hatel » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Two of my machines are running 2.0.32 in the last couple of weeks
> and they both get a Segmentation Fault when I try to restore something
> from a tar file.

Try the sig 11 faq. http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/
I had the same problem with 2.0.30 but it went away when I switched off
"Chipset NA# Asserted" in the bios.

Andrew

tar 1.11.8 segfaults in 2.0.32

Post by Adoram Roge » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> > Two of my machines are running 2.0.32 in the last couple of weeks
> > and they both get a Segmentation Fault when I try to restore something
> > from a tar file.

> Try the sig 11 faq. http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/
> I had the same problem with 2.0.30 but it went away when I switched off
> "Chipset NA# Asserted" in the bios.

> Andrew

Ooh, I now this faq perfectly. I used it to find a problem on another
machine here, but this is not the case here.
These machines are compiling a lot, including kernels, and run a lot of
processes, so it will be surprising to find that only tar pushes them
over the edge, and both of my machines that were just upgraded to 2.0.32 ?
Too much of a coincidence.
No, it must be something else.

Thanks for the try, but I'm looking for something else, Adoram

1. QT3 + KDE3 segfault (sig 11) problems...

Starting very recently, all Qt programs that I build myself from
source (w/ autoconf, usually) segfault on being run, triggering
KCrash. I'm using KDE3 and Qt-3.0.3 with gcc 2.95.3. I'm afraid I
can't really be much more specific than this other than to say that
all the builds complete sucessfully, and the problem only surfaces
when I try to run the binary.

Any ideas? (Please feel free to ask about the versions of any other
packages I have installed, etc.)

Thanks very much.

--Colin

2. CD-ROM attached to the Sound Blaster card

3. gcc signal 11 (segfault) and other problems with Linux 1.1.70

4. Portforwarding aliased IP through ipchains+masquerade

5. GNU tar 1.11.8 Dumping CORE!

6. makedev question

7. Release: GNU tar 1.11.8

8. julian date conversion

9. Please fix olvwm-bin.tar.Z on tsx-11!!

10. cdrom-0.6.tar.Z now available from tsx-11.

11. tar +MLR-32

12. ANNOUNCE: binutils-1.9l.tar.Z is on tsx-11

13. Gnu Tar (1.11.2) handling sparse files