Free Beer!

Post by Ian V. Quickmi » Thu, 02 May 1996 04:00:00

Now that I have everyone's attention!

I have a PCMCIA problem that has stopped me dead in the tracks, and I am
desperately seeking Susan ... I mean help!

I am running kernel 1.3.83 on a laptop, ELF'ed, gcc 2.7.2, all the
applicable libs to run elf and aout.

I tried to run pcmcia 2.8.X, where X = 9,12, or 13.

The compile goes fine. I just can't start it.

When I exec /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start, I get:

Starting PCMCIA services: Linux PCMCIA Card Services 2.8.13
register_ss_entry: wrong version or undefined
unregister_ss_entry: wrong version or undefined
Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.3.83 don't match 1.3.83
CardServices: wrong version or undefined

as per PCMCIA-HOWTO, made sure my module symbol settings in kernel matched
in pcmcia compile.

pcmcia_core gets loaded as per the output from lsmod.

Before I made the upgrade to 1.3.83 and ELF, PCMCIA 2.6.?? ran beautifully
on this machine under kernel 1.2.13.

HELP!

And, as for the beer, free beer to anyone who helps me see enough light to
fix this problem!

WWW: http://www.sonetis.com/~ianq/      CIS: 74032,573

Free Beer!

Post by Jo » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Now that I have everyone's attention!

>I have a PCMCIA problem that has stopped me dead in the tracks, and I am
>desperately seeking Susan ... I mean help!

>I am running kernel 1.3.83 on a laptop, ELF'ed, gcc 2.7.2, all the
>applicable libs to run elf and aout.

>I tried to run pcmcia 2.8.X, where X = 9,12, or 13.

>The compile goes fine. I just can't start it.

>When I exec /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start, I get:

>Starting PCMCIA services: Linux PCMCIA Card Services 2.8.13
>register_ss_entry: wrong version or undefined
>unregister_ss_entry: wrong version or undefined
>Failed to load module! The symbols from kernel 1.3.83 don't match 1.3.83
>CardServices: wrong version or undefined

Not to help, but to concer, I have the same problem with ftape.o.  I
asked the makefile for the kernel to make it into a module, did make
modules and make modules_install (whatever spelling exactly).

I then edited my rc.local to include   insmod /<dirs>/ftape.o

Upon bootup I get very similar errors to yours.  I'm supposing I just
did something wrong, but don't have to time at the moment to figure it
out.

I know there is another way to load it(using the new modules tools)
but insmod should work.

If a solution pops up, can someone tell me?  Thanks

Later!

Life is grand, don't mess it up..
Existence is meaningless, buck up!
----------

Web Page:  http://blackhole.dorms.tamu.edu
Ftp Site:  ftp://blackhole.dorms.tamu.edu

Free Beer!

Post by Nick Kralevi » Sat, 04 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am running kernel 1.3.83 on a laptop, ELF'ed, gcc 2.7.2, all the
>applicable libs to run elf and aout.

From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes (on a newer kernel):

  Kernel Modules
  ==============

     The current kernel modules release is 1.3.57, but you need the
  experimental release 1.3.69 to use newer binutils 2.6.0.x, because
  modules compiled with new binutils can't be loaded by modules 1.3.57.

[deleted]

  Modules
  =======

     1.3.x is almost completely modularized, and kerneld is now
  incorporated into the kernel.  To take advantage of this, you'll need
  the latest version of the module support apps.  The latest non-beta is
  modules-1.3.57.tar.gz, and the latest beta is modules-1.3.69f.tar.gz.
  These should be available at the same place you picked up your kernel
  (ftp://ftp.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/kernel/) and the home page is
  http://www.pi.se/blox/modules/index.html.  Note:  If you try to load a
  module and get a message like

     `gcc2_compiled, undefined Failed to load module!  The symbols from
  kernel 1.3.foo don't match 1.3.foo'

     where `foo' is a number between 1 and 89, then it's time to upgrade
  module utilities from 1.3.57 to 1.3.69f; you'll only get this error if
  you're running the latest binutils, so most people don't need to
  upgrade.

Quote:>And, as for the beer, free beer to anyone who helps me see enough light to
>fix this problem!

Damn, and I don't drink beer!  Oh well, you can just send me the
cash. :)

Please read the Changes file whenever you download a new kernel.  It
has important information that will help you answer these questions.

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich

Free Beer!

Post by Ian V. Quickmi » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

Problem was that I had to upgrade my modules package to 1.3.69f, which,
after doing so, now has my laptop running happily as can be ...

Thanks for all the help ...

PS: Contrary to popular belief, this was not in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes for kernels 1.3.83 or 1.3.87, so
that's why I missed it!

WWW: http://www.sonetis.com/~ianq/      CIS: 74032,573