Stuck in a loop, stuck in a loop, ...

Post by mar.. » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi all!

I'm really *ed this time.

I have both OS/2 and Win3.11 in different partitions on my first HDD.
I want to throw away Win3.11 and replace it with Linux. Good idea so far.

My motherboard (VESA 486 with a dx33) is non-pnp. I have a Soundblaster
16pnp attached. In order to start this card I have to load over 1Mb of
Intel pnp drivers in DOS. I can then load the SB16 drivers and then the
CD drive as the drive uses the IDE port on the card.

A (Redhat) Linux install restarts the system and halts when it cannot see
the CD. It can't load the CD without being able to see the SB16 which
it cannot load without the pnp drivers which it cannot load because it
cannot see the CD. Etc.

Advice please, please. please...
1) Should I just give up and buy 30 odd floppies.
2) Is there a way I can give the install system the correct drivers, by
creating a floppy boot? I'll need to know which files to use. I'm a bit
lost here. Any help would be gratefully recieved.
3) Is there a sneaky way out of this?
4) Any way to make sure that I don't clobber my OS/2 partition.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

yours, Marcus.
--
Marcus Baker, Shadow Robot Project, London.

Web: www.shadow.org.uk

Post by Ulrich Teiche » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all!

Hi!

[del]

Quote:>A (Redhat) Linux install restarts the system and halts when it cannot see
>the CD. It can't load the CD without being able to see the SB16 which
>it cannot load without the pnp drivers which it cannot load because it
>cannot see the CD. Etc.
>Advice please, please. please...
>1) Should I just give up and buy 30 odd floppies.

You could make a mininmal install and then compile a kernel which suites
your needs and conifigure your PNP devices with isapnp (sp?).

Quote:>2) Is there a way I can give the install system the correct drivers, by
>creating a floppy boot? I'll need to know which files to use. I'm a bit
>lost here. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

You could do the minimal install from your harddisk. First shrink your
WIN3.1 partition (e.g. with fips) and then copy the relevant packages
to the shrinked partition. I don't know what names they have in RH,
I only remember the slackware package names way way back.....
Then install the minimal Linux on the free space, compile the kernel,
config your SB (I think that will be hardest thing to do) and upgrade
your minimal system.

Quote:>3) Is there a sneaky way out of this?

The easiest way would be to find someone to compile a custom kernel
for you (I am willing to do that, I've made it before) _and_ find
someone who knows what to do with your SB (I don't).

HTH,
Uli
--

Stormweg 24                | listening to: Cara-Lin (Thee Headcoatees),
24539 Neumuenster, Germany | It's the Sickening Sound (Doktor X)

1. Please help: XDM stuck in loop starting X

Please help: XDM stuck in loop starting X

As per one of the messages posted here,
I added the line:

DefaultDolorDepth 16

to my XF86Config.
Now when I restarted, (using XDM) X cannot start
and gets stuck in a loop trying to start and the screen
is stuck flashing text.

I tried ALT F6 to go to the text login but that screen is stuck
flashing too and I cannot login or do anything.

Please tell me there is a way to correct this problem
without reinstalling and reconfiguring everything...

Jack

2. help!

3. stuck in fsck loop

4. Need to restore corrupted tar archive from 1/4" tape

5. Extremely Newbie question stuck on a while loop

6. Hi, new to this group. Need info about progamming Soundblaster cards

7. Loop stuck in -D state

8. Accessing Novell file servers

9. Solaris 2.4 inetd gets stuck in loop with discard service

10. coredump on Tru64 unwind stuck in infinite loop exception

11. Modem Stuck in Infinite Reset Loop

12. Fatal X error: gdm stuck in restart loop - help??

13. PAS16 system stuck in loop while booting