PC won't even start anymore......

Post by Rock » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I recently bought a mandrake linux package and tried doing the install
myself as a dual boot system. something of a grand mistake.

Nearest i can tell is that the lilo never set up properly and the Win98
startup (dos) is not even there. the msg i get is:

Could not find kernel image: dos

- it needs a floppy to boot which is not exactly what i want.

- it can only boot into linux which is not what i want.

- it's somehow changed the bios i think so it's kind of a mess (to me at
least)

i hope my win98 is still there but figure it'll need more than just me and
some help desk. i'm in hong kong so does anyone know of some linux guru in
the causeway bay/happy valley area that might be so kind as to help me fix
this thing?

barring that, is there some way to strip out the linux so i can get my pc
back to where it was?

Thanks much all,

Rkyfrank

PC won't even start anymore......

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I recently bought a mandrake linux package and tried doing the install
>myself as a dual boot system. something of a grand mistake.

>Nearest i can tell is that the lilo never set up properly and the Win98
>startup (dos) is not even there. the msg i get is:

>Could not find kernel image: dos

>- it needs a floppy to boot which is not exactly what i want.

>- it can only boot into linux which is not what i want.

Sounds fine then. You've set up LILO to look for DOS as a Linux kernel
image rather than as some random other operating system. Edit
/etc/lilo.conf and change "image" to "other" in the appropriate place
(but not for the Linux part of the configuration!). You should get a
block looking something like this (the /dev/hda1 bit may be different -
and leave the rest of the file alone):

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

Now run '/sbin/lilo -v' and, assuming it doesn't report any errors,
reboot. (If it does report errors, the documentation for /etc/lilo.conf
can be found in 'man lilo.conf', assuming a sane installation.)

Good luck!

--

Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science         [riva.ucam.org]
"This is the only networking technology

1. S3 911/924 & NEC 3D won't even start...

I have a HP Vectra 486-33n, HP Ultra VGA, 8mb ram. After running
XF86Config and stuff, I could not get X to start... complaining about
error 13 or something. Apparently none of the video modes work. The system
has under DOS the S3 911, but under Linux has S3 924? The combo of S3 and
NEC 3D should work, shouldn't it? If anybody can help... thanks in advance

2. Sendmail Solaris "Service Unavailable"

3. Recompiled my Kernel, but X won't start anymore..help please!!?

4. Is Alpha for me?

5. Xwindows won't start anymore

6. would anyone like to install ALSA or emu10k1 drivers for my Audigy ?

7. Redhat 6.1 won't start (even once)

8. FreeBSD with COMPEX wireless LAN

9. power failure -> kde won't start anymore

10. I need help with X, it won't even start...

11. NetBSD won't start dhclient even though it is in rc

12. KDE won't start anymore

13. X Server won't start up on PC with Sol.8