Please help - Samba Setup on RedHat7.2

Post by Eri » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:24:43

Hello-
I have set up an RedHat 7.2 system to act as a fileserver for some
W95, W98 and WNT workstations. I have done this before on earlier
versions of RedHat. I am having a heck of a time getting this to work.
I've read through Using Samba and a number of other resouces. I think
that it is my RedHat 7.2 setup and not Samba that is giving me pain.
Symptoms of this pain:

"Linuxbox" shows up in the network neighborhood of this workgroup but
cannot be accessed. WNT4 gives a browse error of "\\Linuxbox is not
accessible. The remote computer is not available" W98 and W95 Clients
give a browse error of "\\Linuxbox is not Accessible. The specified
computer did not recieve your request. Try again later."

All of the documentation that I can find is for running on earlier
versions of RedHat. I have looked at the documentation pages at
www.samba.org but cannot seem to identify what is up. I also cannot
get SWAT to work. Any ideas of what to do to diagnose this?

Thanks,
Erik

Please help - Samba Setup on RedHat7.2

Post by mw » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 03:23:13

Quote:> Hello-
> I have set up an RedHat 7.2 system to act as a fileserver for some
> W95, W98 and WNT workstations. I have done this before on earlier
> versions of RedHat. I am having a heck of a time getting this to work.
> I've read through Using Samba and a number of other resouces. I think
> that it is my RedHat 7.2 setup and not Samba that is giving me pain.
> Symptoms of this pain:

> "Linuxbox" shows up in the network neighborhood of this workgroup but
> cannot be accessed. WNT4 gives a browse error of "\\Linuxbox is not
> accessible. The remote computer is not available" W98 and W95 Clients
> give a browse error of "\\Linuxbox is not Accessible. The specified
> computer did not recieve your request. Try again later."

> All of the documentation that I can find is for running on earlier
> versions of RedHat. I have looked at the documentation pages at
> www.samba.org but cannot seem to identify what is up. I also cannot
> get SWAT to work. Any ideas of what to do to diagnose this?

> Thanks,
> Erik

Take a look at the webpage below for help in setting up Samba
--
Regards,
Mark

Samba Setup Guide
http://samba.netfirms.com

"If Ballmer told me that my pants were on fire AND I smelled smoke AND I
felt my ass getting warm I still would not believe him. "
-- Unknown

1. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

Hey everyone,
            here's my situation: yesterday i finally got all the parts
to my new computer. I built it, installed rh 6, and i've had nothing but
problems, in fact the only devices i have working properly are my ide
drives and cd burners. Here's what i bought:

Celeron 400 PPGA x 2 (and yes the label said single processor
systems...but they work just fine)
Abit BP-6 Motherboard
256 MB PC100 Ram  (2 x 128)
Western  Digital 13.0 and 8.4 gig Hardrives
Mitsumi 40 x IDE CDrom
Sound Blaster PCI 128
Diamon Viper V770
Advanys SCSI controller with Matsushista 7502 cdr drive (works great)
3com 3c509 isa network card (PnP mode)
.....i think that's it.

Now here are the problems.

1) First of all when i boot it (top) says i only have about 3 megs of
ram free. How is this             possible????

2) I can't seem to configure sound with any luck, sndconfig detects my
card immediatly but i don't head any sound.

3) When i reboot or shutdown using those commands, i don't think it
properly unmounts the drives becuase i get error messages when it boots
up and take about 20 minutes to fsck them.

4) I installed the nVidia patch for the V770 and X does work but the
graphics are real sh*tty (grainy, not sure what mode i'm running in but
i know it's 1024x768)

5) Sometimes when shutting down, the machine hangs when its shutting of
interface eth0. so i'm not sure if the network card is the problem.

    That's it on the problems so here are the questions:

    a) How do i fix the problems that i listed above? (i know it's
stupid and redundant to say
                that, but it's my primary question)

    b)  What version of linux should i run on this, i.e. what will
support the hardware best. I was         considering mandrake, but i'm
not sure.

    c) Is there a way to tell what cpu is doing what? i know in Irix
when you run top it tells you          about each cpu?

                    I truly thank everyone in advance for help with
this,

--jordan

2. HELP: Serious problem...

3. Urgent question about IP Tables...

4. Upgrade Video Driver on RedHat7.2-Please help!

5. Problem while using boot net - install

6. PLEASE HELP ME WITH SAMBA ??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ????

7. Accessing the inode table on Solaris

8. how can i install RedHat7.1 or redhat7.0 to a scsi hard disk?

9. Help,Help, Help,my installation of RedHat7.3 hangs, how to solve it?

10. Samba - RedHat7/Win98 Problem

12. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help