How to Install Linux on 2nd EIDE given Existing Primary EIDE w/Win95?

How to Install Linux on 2nd EIDE given Existing Primary EIDE w/Win95?

Post by Jay T. Mill » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hey all,

I've installed Linux on my Atari Falcon before (a m68k-based machine),
pretty much by hand, so I have a reasonable understanding of Linux.
However, I've recently purchased a nice DELL Dimension XPS 166s system, and
wish to install Linux on that.  Should be a bit faster.  :)

In any case, I don't want to touch my current Win95 setup on my primary
EIDE drive.  My thought was to get a second EIDE drive devoted expressly to
Linux, and be able to switch booting between Win95 or Linux.  My question
now is, how do I install Linux to allow for me to do this?

Of course I've tried to follow the LILO discussions, and peoples'
experience when using it with Win95, but haven't been able to piece
together a straight answer.  I wanted to buy the Slackware Linux
distribution, and install that way.  I've gathered that it probably uses
LILO as it's boot mechanism.  However, does the Slackware distribution
allow you to:

A) Install Linux on a slaved/secondary EIDE drive?
B) Install LILO on the primary EIDE w/out disrupting an existing Win95
   configuration?
C) Use LILO to point to the secondary EIDE to boot Linux?

Some basic questions, but important ones for me.  Any help is greatly
appreciated!

-Jay Millar

How to Install Linux on 2nd EIDE given Existing Primary EIDE w/Win95?

Post by Jay T. Mill » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>Hey all,

>A) Install Linux on a slaved/secondary EIDE drive?
>B) Install LILO on the primary EIDE w/out disrupting an existing Win95
>   configuration?
>C) Use LILO to point to the secondary EIDE to boot Linux?

A followup question to my own article:

 D) Create a Linux boot-disk, instead of using LILO, to boot Linux
    off the second EIDE drive?

Thanks again,

-Jay Millar

Post by Al Gartne » Sun, 29 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> A) Install Linux on a slaved/secondary EIDE drive?

        Absolutely!!!  You can choose to install Linux wherever your little old
heart desires!  (example, mine is installed on a Syquest IDE 135
removable disk, which is the 3rd device in the IDE bus)

Quote:> B) Install LILO on the primary EIDE w/out disrupting an existing Win95
>    configuration?

        As long as you are not using an existing boot manager (WinNT, OS/2, or
otherwise) LILO will not interfere with Win95 operations.  If your still
not convinced, you can choose to lay LILO down to a floppy disk and
leave your hard drive alone....LILO Disk in/Linux boots...LILO Disk out,
Win95 Boots.  This is how I do it
Quote:> C) Use LILO to point to the secondary EIDE to boot Linux?

As Linux can be installed literally anywhere, LILO will point literally
anywhere.

Have Fun...
Al

> Some basic questions, but important ones for me.  Any help is greatly
> appreciated!

> -Jay Millar

1. linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

Hi to All!
  I have a NEC PowerMatev75 w/32MB RAM, and 2 EIDE drives.  They used to be
on the same chain, but when I installed them in this machine I gave each
its own drive controller.  Linux fdisk doesn't see the second hdd, or I
don't know how to tell it the right address.  /dev/hda doesn't work, and
neither does /dev/hdb.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Doug Hayden

2. Piping filenames into a script

3. My I install SCO OpenServer 5.0.2 on Primary/Slave EIDE HD ?

4. (Review ID: 163981) HotSpot VM Internal Error ID: 4F533F4C49E55580E43505002D7

5. EIDE Quantum drive - Can't install on 2nd DM partition ?!

6. E-mail Autoresponder

7. Install SCO Unix to 2nd EIDE Drive

8. FTP

9. EIDE CD-ROM + EIDE 1280 WD HD + all kinds of shit

10. EIDE & CMD CONTRLL & EIDE CDROM & KERN 1.2.9

11. EIDE CDROM w/o EIDE drive - possible?

12. ext2fs corruption on EIDE drive (UDMA in EIDE system)

13. GSI Eide Cards: PCI, EIDE; Any info please?