Linux consultancy/sysadmin fees 'survey'

Linux consultancy/sysadmin fees 'survey'

Post by vrw » Thu, 24 May 2001 19:23:58

Hi everyone,
I am going to provide a company with an IT solution that will include:
-costing components and putting together the systems
-installing Linux on both the dedicated fileserver and internet server
- performing tests on the company LAN to ensure correct functionality
- possibly setting up a smoothwall-based firewall or similar solution
I don't really know how many hours this will take me to do, and I haven't
done any service like this commercially before, so I was wondering if
anybody could give some 'going rates' these days for either a complete
'package deal' (i.e. everything done for X amount) or some hourly rates.
I would be thankful for any kind of input, even ranges would be fine
(hourly rate from XXX to XXX, sth. like that), since I really don't know
what to charge, and I wanna make sure that both the company and I get a
fair deal.

Thank you very much in advance,

Volkmar

P.S. I also posted this in alt.linux; if you came across this before please
ignore :-)

Post by Cole » Sun, 27 May 2001 04:14:46

> a smoothwall-based firewall or similar solution I don't really know how
> many hours this will take me to do, and I haven't done any service like
> this commercially before, so I was wondering if anybody could give some
> 'going rates' these days for either a complete 'package deal' (i.e.

If this is your first time, you should give them a large discount for
allowing you to use them as a guinea pig.
Quote:> to XXX, sth. like that), since I really don't know what to charge, and I
> wanna make sure that both the company and I get a fair deal.

1. Please don't feed 'as400'

The idiot who has been posting about the 'Questions On Solaris 10 x86
URGENT!!' is clearly a troll.

He said on the 26/12/05

"Please bare with me here..I started running Solaris 10 about a month
ago and its kind of ackword for me to learn.."

then a day later on the 27/12/05:

"I am trying to get this work for months and months and I just cannot
and cannot believe that I am still working on this...This is really
ridiculous..."

so from trying to learn Solaris about a month ago, he/she has now been
working on the writing of a cd for "months and months".

It is clear his motif, so why don't we just leave him.

--
Dave K

2. FreeBSD: javaldx reports unusable stuff

3. Linux 'distro' surveys

4. Help with implementing RAID 1/2 on Solaris...

5. ksh: how can I 'feed' several processes with input from one script

6. PCNFSD

7. R5 and 'media fee'

8. FreeBSD 4.7 boot problem

9. Using 'tr' to replace Carriage Return & Line Feed.

10. Using 'sed' to remove "line-feed"

11. How to get 'SysAdmin' in Japan

12. Survey - I'm beggin' ya - Just a moment of your time