'selection' (gpm) mouse problem

Post by Paul Wybo » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

     I have been trying to get the mouse 'selection' program (part of
the kernel) working properly on a friends system.

     The problem is that it "sort of works" sometimes; then the cursor
becomes invisible. Often double-clicking the left button will bring the
cursor back, but the cut (left button) and paste (right button) will
often still not work at all, or the paste won't work, etc. Sounds like
a resource conflict problem?

     The mouse is a genuine Microsoft serial 2-button mouse and works
faultlessly in DOS/WINDOWS. It also seems to work okay under X in linux.
It is on Com1 using IRQ4, 3f8, the standard settings. No other hardware
appears to be using these.

     The kernel is 1.2.8 which we recompiled the other day to
try to eliminate any conflicts with resources that might arise there.
We didn't find any and are rather puzzled.

     Any help appreciated. Email or a post here is fine. Thanks.
--
Paul Wyborn                    In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
Australia                      In the midst of his laughter and glee,

Post by Rick L » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

: --
: Paul Wyborn                    In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
: Australia                      In the midst of his laughter and glee,
:                                He had softly and suddenly vanished away -
: ==>Lewis Carroll==>==>         For the Snark was a Boojum, you see.

I had a similar problem, check /etc/inittab
I had a getty runing on the same port,
Hope this helps.

--
The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality.

1. MouseMan and 'selection -t mm &' doesn't work.

  Does anyone know how to make a Logitech MouseMan serial mouse work with
'selection'?

  My Microsoft mouse was working fine but Oberon for Linux (which runs under
X-windows) requires a 3-button mouse and MouseMan seemed to me to be as
good a bet as any so I bought one.

  My first idea was to get the MouseMan working with 'selection' and then
get it working under X-windows but that got me nowhere so I yanked the
'selection' call out of my /etc/rc.d/rc.local and concentrated on
X-windows.

  Simple!

  MouseMan "/dev/mouse"
   chordmiddle

  It works!

  But I still can't make it work with 'selection'.

  I have tried '-t mm', -t logi', and even '-t ms'.

  At least with '-t mm' I get a *little* action: the cursor shows up when
I double-click the left button but that's about all; if I try to drag the
thing, it does everything but what I want -- mainly it just hops around
the screen.

  So, if you know how to make a MouseMan work with 'selection', or if you
have reason to believe that a MouseMan cannot possibly be made to work
with 'selection', I'd be much obliged if you would share that information
by posting it here.

  Grateful for all the help I can get.

  Bill
--
  Bill Hogan

2. Problem with PnP network card

3. Mouse/X Windows: GPM repeater (gpm -R, /dev/gpmdata) problem

4. Oddity with Linux 2.1.19+ networking

5. Mouse: gpm works, X doesn't

6. Fujitsu M2249SA/FutureDomain TMC -1680

7. GPM can't find /dev/mouse

8. ipfwadm & restricting irc users

9. QUESTION: mc & gpm / mouse behaviour on non-root consoles doesn't work.

10. Mouse trouble at startup - gpm won't load

11. gpm can't find /dev/mouse! Help

12. IBM 350 w/Logi Mouse won't work gpm or X (tried psaux)

13. gpm/Mouse doesn't work correctly