Reinstalling Linux, RedHat 5.1

Post by Glenn Stauff » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I seemed to have really screwed up my Linux system to the point where it
won't recognize the network card and I'm getting module dependency errors
on boot.  The system boots; I've just lost the network.

What I'd like to do is restore the Linux installation so that all the
libraries are there, but I don't want to lose software I've installed -
in particular my Apache web server and an Oracle database.

Any way to do this?

Thanks, Glenn Stauffer

1. Reinstalling X on Redhat 5.1

Sorry, i'm a newbie at this...but i setup redhat 5.1 on my system this
weekend and I've seem to have broken it. 8o)

I was trying to install Gnome over my X-server and the Gtk+, Gtk10+, Glib
packages were too old, and i had conflicts all over the place.  I replaced
them by taking out all the dependent packages on the old ones, then
installing the recommended versions, then reinstalling the dependent
packages over it.  But, it didn't work.  I lost the ability to run the
control-panel package (something about missing a function), as well as the
xsystem is running kinda squirrely.(to add to this, Gnome still didn't work
right, i couldn't start it without using a console once FVWM was
loaded...then both were running)  So, I yanked the new ones(as well as all
the gnome), and re-installed the old ones, but i had script errors, and it
still didn't work.

How would somebody go about de- then re-installing a huge part of linux like
this?  I'd like to stick to the rpm method, if possible, because i have a
rudimentary understanding of it, but am open to other possibilities.  I
would also like to find out what went wrong, but i can do that once i learn
some more.

Also, how do you make a shortcut on the desktop?

thanks much,
ricardo

2. HELP! Double variable expansion question

3. Sorry, I meant xpr

4. upgrade from Redhat Linux 5.0 to redhat linux 5.1

5. perl on rs6000, help

6. RedHat Linux 5.1 vs Linux for PPC's

8. Suse Linux 5.3 or Redhat 5.1 for a Linux Virgin?

9. RedHat 5.0 to RedHat 5.1

10. If REDHAT is listening, suggestions for Redhat 5.1

11. Redhat 5.0 --> Redhat 5.1

12. upgrade from Redhat 5.0 to Redhat 5.1