HELP: New kernels corrupt filesystem

Post by Martin Kra » Fri, 26 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

my Linux box runs kernel 1.0.9 since about half a year without
major problems. Now, every time I want to upgrade the kernel,
I run into serious trouble after booting the new kernel:

All new created directories and files are completely messed up.
Directories tend to miss '.' or '..' in the inode, or have '..'
point to some random point in the filesystem. Files have blocks
from other files mixed into them and are useless that way. The
only way out is booting 1.0.9 and fsck'ing.

This happened with 1.1.45, 1.1.52 and (day before yesterday) 1.2.8.
I did install bdflush 1.4 and 1.5 while upgrading. The rest of my
installation is Slackware 2.0 from a german CD (SuSe July 94). I
generally boot from floppy.

The only clue I have is that I had the 'sudden death' problem
discussed here during the installation phase, and so something
might be missing in the installation. (by the way, I don't have
a network card, and I solved the 'sudden death' problem by disabling
external cache....)

Anybody experienced similar problems? Have I forgot anything?
Thanks for any help (preferably also per e-mail, these groups
are too large to keep up regularly..)

Martin

| IFF - KFA, 52425 Juelich, GERMANY  Tel. 02461-61-6131, Fax -2850 |
| MPIKG, Kantstr. 55, 14513 Teltow,  Tel. 03328-46-589,  Fax -212  |

1. HELP-Corrupt Filesystem-HELP

Hi there,

I've got a little problem:

My harddisc was repaired by the fsck-program because the filesystem was
corrupt. After that some files were unusable.
fsck changed the type of several directories and files into charcater or
block devices.
How can I remove those files/devices? Is there a program that can modify
the type of a file/inode?

Thanks for any reply,
  Uli
--
Keep the Faith!
Email:

2. Intrusion Prevention 101

3. filesystem problem with new kernel, help please

4. Serial Troubles

5. filesystem problem with new kernel, help

6. Welcome to comp.unix.shell [Frequent posting]

7. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

8. SCSI Install of RH7.0 - LILO hangs at boot

9. HELP! Corrupt filesystem

10. Filesystem Corrupted HELP needed pls

11. Pls help: force mount corrupted filesystem (XENIX)

12. E2fsck Filesystem Corrupt, HELP

13. Help needed - Corrupt filesystem / external devices