LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

Post by John Rudma » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello

I'm certain someone reading this has done this - have you got time to
reply?

I've read the Mini-Howto and scoured DejaNews so I have a fairly good
idea what to do, but am lacking in confidence...

My current setup is:

Booting via LILO (version 17, with REWRITE_TABLE flag)
Disk 1: 2Gb, with 4 partitions
- DOS (about 1Gb) - the default
- Linux (about 500Mb)
- Linux swap (about 128Mb) (if you've got it, flaunt it <g>)
- unused partition (about 340Mb)
(also, Disks2, 3, 4: DOS/Windows 3.11 stuff)

I wish to install Windows 95 on the unused partition for reasons beyond
the scope of this article <g>.
Obviously it is much cheaper to buy the W95 upgrade than the full
version, so this means installing another copy of DOS/Windows 3.11 and
then upgrading (I think that's legal, isn't it?).

What can I expect to happen?  Will I have to re-install LILO due to
anything that DOS/W95 does?

For those who really fancy a challenge, I also have a SCSI Syquest
removable drive which I can happily mount under Linux.  Could Windows 95
be installed on a removable drive instead, for the rare occasions when
it would be used?

Looking forward to being blinded with science...
Cheers
JR

(Disclaimer: Nothing above is anything to do with Sun UK - I'm just
visiting)

LILO: Linux + DOS-W311 + DOS/W95-Upgrade

Post by Tim Sadl » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

G'day,

>My current setup is:
>Booting via LILO (version 17, with REWRITE_TABLE flag)
>Disk 1: 2Gb, with 4 partitions
>- DOS (about 1Gb) - the default
>- Linux (about 500Mb)
>- Linux swap (about 128Mb) (if you've got it, flaunt it <g>)
>- unused partition (about 340Mb)
>(also, Disks2, 3, 4: DOS/Windows 3.11 stuff)
>I wish to install Windows 95 on the unused partition for reasons beyond
>the scope of this article <g>.
>What can I expect to happen?  Will I have to re-install LILO due to
>anything that DOS/W95 does?

As soon as you install WIN95 your MBR will be wiped and replaced with
Microsoft's own win95 bootstrap.  You will thus need some sort of disk
to boot up your system and then reinstall LILO.

Quote:>For those who really fancy a challenge, I also have a SCSI Syquest
>removable drive which I can happily mount under Linux.  Could Windows 95
>be installed on a removable drive instead, for the rare occasions when
>it would be used?

There is no reason that I can think of that a removable drive can't be
used. LILO should even be able to boot it if it is always the same
device when attached.

Quote:>Looking forward to being blinded with science...

I'll try to keep quite next time!

Tim Sadler                        Coopers & Lybrand

"The greatest problem with communication is the illusion that it has
been accomplished."
                                           George Bernard Shaw

Post by Jon Martin Solaa » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> >I wish to install Windows 95 on the unused partition for reasons beyond
> >the scope of this article <g>.
> >What can I expect to happen?  Will I have to re-install LILO due to
> >anything that DOS/W95 does?

> As soon as you install WIN95 your MBR will be wiped and replaced with
> Microsoft's own win95 bootstrap.  You will thus need some sort of disk
> to boot up your system and then reinstall LILO.

That is only a problem when lilo is installed in MBR. If you install
lilo in the superblock of a partition it'll be safe. All you have to
do is make that partition active after installing win95 and optionally
add win95 as a boot option in lilo.conf.

--
Jon Martin Solaas

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonso

1. dos/w311, w95, and linux

Hi, I've been assigned to setup a machine which can boot dos/w311,
win95, and linux.  Has anyone had any success in doing so??  Some
details:
        Gateway 2000 P5133
        1.6 Gig EIDE Western Digital Caviar
        3com 3c509 Etherlink III card
        Mitsumi FX 400D CD-ROM

I have installed Win95 and Linux to an identical machine with no
problems.  However because of the interactions between dos/w311 and
win95 (using same directories, etc) I am unsure how to proceed with
the above task.  The drive is currently partitioned in to 4 partions:

        /dev/hda1       500 Mb, tagged as DOS >= 32MB
        /dev/hda2       700 Mb, tagged as DOS >= 32MB
        /dev/hda3       32  Mb, tagged as Linux swap
        /dev/hda4       the rest, linux native.

If anyone has had any success in getting dos/w311, win95, and linux to
boot from one disk could you please email me the basic steps for
installation.  Thanks.

-- John

--

Systems Staff
Computer Science Dept.

2. PPP-2.2.0f question

3. m$ "lost" the source code for W95, DOS, Q-DOS ?

4. Miro 20 SD sdac and xfree 3.1

6. Power Saving mode in Linux

7. RH5/w95/LILO dos boot error

8. MMDF & Web Page Form Mail

9. Getting DOS/W3.1, W95 and Lilo to coexist

10. Mount DOS on DOS machine from LINUX on LINUX machine

11. How to boot Dos, W95, and Linux from one Hard Drive

12. linux box as server for dos/nt/os2/w95...

13. Boot managers for W95/DOS/Win311 and OS/2 and FreeBSD/Linux