Using CD-RW for backup, best plan?

Post by Walter Franci » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I just received an HP 7200i drive, which is set up and writes CD-R's
just fine.  I am planning on using the drive for backups (among other
things of course..:)

I am sure this has been done before, so what's the best package to look
at for CD backups?  From as simple as splitting tar's to mkisofs to
cdrecord, or more complicated..  I don't have a lot of free disk space,
defiantely not enough to make a complete ISO image, so something that
could go straight from hard disk to cdrecord would probably be best.  It
seems it would not be a problem even on my wimpy system, X with KDE,
KDM, Netscape, online browsing writing a CD-R with cdrecord, the buffer
only dropped to 93% FIFO, seems quite safe..

Thanks!

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by RedHat 6.0

1. Using CD-RW for backups

We are considering using CD-RW for backups, instead of tape drives.  I
know it's possible, but does it really really work -- reliably?

Does anyone have actual experience of performing backups to CD-RW on a
regular basis over a long term?

Thanks for any & all feedback.

-Lee Allen

2. installing gcc via rpm

3. Backups using CD-RW, suggestions?

4. Pissing me off

5. backup util/backup to CD-RW?

6. SOLARIS != UNIX

7. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

8. Changing IP address

9. SCSI CD-RW: yamaha 4416s: HowTo REWrite CD-RW's?

10. CD-RW support specifically with NEC NR 7700A CD-RW drive

11. ide-scsi cd-rw woes (creative cd-rw blaster)

12. Is CD-R or CD-RW good dor back-up ???

13. Best CD-RW drive?