Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI ES4815 (es1371) problem

Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI ES4815 (es1371) problem

Post by Neurophy » Mon, 28 May 2001 10:42:27

Hi, I'm running Debian 2.2r3 with kernel 2.2.19 on an Asus A7v w/Duron
650.  I've got a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card, on the top of
the box it claims "model ES4815".  After a bit of trial and error
getting it to work a couple months ago, I found that the es1371 driver
works with it, so I have it compiled statically into the kernel, not
as a module.

My problem is that the driver seems to have weird issues with queueing
sounds when other sounds are playing, and with freezing for a
noticeable period of time after certain sounds are played, when trying
to play sounds from other programs.

First, the freezing problem.  This primarly happens with the console
beep in KDE2's 'konsole' program.  I can make the beep in konsole as
many times as I like with no problems, but after a beep has been
played in konsole, the sound driver goes into a weird state for around
30 seconds or more, where if any other program is loaded that tries to
play sounds (xmms, snes9x, rocknes, and so forth) there will either be
an error (rocknes says "Cannot find sound card"), or more commonly,
the program will simply freeze hard for 30 seconds or so, and then
start executing normally as soon as the driver decides it wants to
work again.

Secondly, the queueing problem.  A good example of this is xmms +
gaim.  When I'm playing mp3s in xmms, if events happen in gaim that
would normally cause a sound effect, I hear nothing... until the
current mp3 is done playing.  Then, all the sound effects seem to be
played at once, that were made by gaim during the time the mp3 was
playing!  This is, obviously, sub-optimal behavior.  Interestingly, if
a console beep was made during mp3 play, it will often be played and
then the driver will freeze just like it does in the above
description, for some period of time, before it 'unfreezes' and xmms
goes to the next file in the playlist.

Any ideas if this is a fixable problem?  It was present in 2.2.18 as
well as 2.2.19.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 28 May 2001 11:19:49

> Hi, I'm running Debian 2.2r3 with kernel 2.2.19 on an Asus A7v w/Duron
> 650.  I've got a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card, on the top of
> the box it claims "model ES4815".  After a bit of trial and error
> getting it to work a couple months ago, I found that the es1371 driver
> works with it, so I have it compiled statically into the kernel, not
> as a module.

> My problem is that the driver seems to have weird issues with queueing
> sounds when other sounds are playing, and with freezing for a
> noticeable period of time after certain sounds are played, when trying
> to play sounds from other programs.

> First, the freezing problem.  This primarly happens with the console
> beep in KDE2's 'konsole' program.  I can make the beep in konsole as
> many times as I like with no problems, but after a beep has been
> played in konsole, the sound driver goes into a weird state for around
> 30 seconds or more, where if any other program is loaded that tries to
> play sounds (xmms, snes9x, rocknes, and so forth) there will either be
> an error (rocknes says "Cannot find sound card"), or more commonly,
> the program will simply freeze hard for 30 seconds or so, and then
> start executing normally as soon as the driver decides it wants to
> work again.

> Secondly, the queueing problem.  A good example of this is xmms +
> gaim.  When I'm playing mp3s in xmms, if events happen in gaim that
> would normally cause a sound effect, I hear nothing... until the
> current mp3 is done playing.  Then, all the sound effects seem to be
> played at once, that were made by gaim during the time the mp3 was
> playing!  This is, obviously, sub-optimal behavior.  Interestingly, if
> a console beep was made during mp3 play, it will often be played and
> then the driver will freeze just like it does in the above
> description, for some period of time, before it 'unfreezes' and xmms
> goes to the next file in the playlist.

> Any ideas if this is a fixable problem?  It was present in 2.2.18 as
> well as 2.2.19.

Can't help with xmms, but the problem does not lie with the es1371 driver
in the kernel, whether compiled in or loaded as a module.  I had the same
problem when I was using the on-board via686a sound chip WRT KDE.  Just
wait a few seconds and KDE releases the audio device.  BTW, I use a 2.4.4
kernel on one machine and a 2.2.19 on another.  Problem exists on both.
Perhaps if you try using Gnome???  Not me, I detest Gnome.

If you question what kind of sound card you have, the best place to
determine that is the big chip on the card.  It will be marked with
something like ES1373 as on my card.

1. Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 sound card problem

Hello all,
Well, I'm new here and new to FreeBSD too.
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to configure my sound card. All I
know is that it is a supported hardware in FreeBSD v4.0 but alas I can't get
it working.

I recompiled my Kernel with different settings but the same results
everytime. Here's the error I get when the Kernel loads:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> irq 11 at device 12.0 on pci0
pcm0: unable to map register space
device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My configuration under Windows is as follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 PCI Hardware:
     Port=1080,  IRQ=11

 Sound Blaster 16 Emulation:
     Port=220,  IRQ=7,  DMA=1, DMA16=7

 MPU-401 (General MIDI, Roland MT-32/LAPC-1) Emulation:
     Port=330,  IRQ=7

 AdLib Emulation:
     Port=388
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Has anyone here got his Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 working on his machine?
Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Arvind

2. Seyon: turning bell off

3. Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI sound driver problem

4. Little help, please?

5. Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371 not PnP in RH Linux 6.0

6. HTTP socket accept fails too much

7. Solaris 2.4 sendmail rules with uucp as host@domain

8. Creative AudioPCI es1371

9. (long) DTV2000 - bttv / Creative Ensoniq - ES1371

10. Creative/Ensoniq AudioPCI w/ ES1373 chip

11. Cant get Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI to work

12. Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card