Problem with 3.1.2 XF86_W32 & xsetroot & 2.0.20

Problem with 3.1.2 XF86_W32 & xsetroot & 2.0.20

Post by Mattias G. Hembru » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have VLB W32i card w/ 2 megs ram (Cardex Cobra).
I have a working 1.2.13 setup. I can kill/restart my xserver seemingly ad
infinitum.

Just recently I installed the Sep 96 infomagic slackware release. I then
upgraded the kernel to 2.0.20.

The built-in XF86_W32 server just blanks my screen - unrecoverable except for
CTRL-ALT-DEL.

So, since I compiled in a.out support, I mounted my old disk, and brought up
my 3.1.1 XF86_W32 server. Results?

It works ONCE, if I use my 1.2.13 default setup. That is, I can bring up the
xserver, and kill it. If I try to bring it up again, I get the same results as
above - screen blanks, unrecoverable (AFAIK, anyway).

If I take out the xsetroot in my .xinitrc (xsetroot -solid grey35), then it
works any number of times. OR, if I run xsetroot -grey before I kill the
window, again, it works any number of times. It just occured to me that
the xsetroot I'm running is probably from the 3.1.2 ELF distribution - which
is probably not the best thing to do. Maybe I'll try it with the old xsetroot
and see if that changes things.

However, this does prove that it's NOT the xserver - since the xserver works
all the time WITHOUT xsetroot affecting it at all under 1.2.13. So, the
problem is either with the new xsetroot, OR the 2.0.x kernels (my bet is on
xsetroot).

Also, is there a WORKING 3.1.2 W32 server? I'd really like to TRY the >8 bpp
modes, but so far, 3.1.1 is the only xserver that works for me.. I've tried a
few a.out 3.1.2s (but not the "fixed" 3.1.2d (or was it 3.1.2b?)).

Which version comes with the Sept 96 infomagic slackware, and is there a newer
one?

Thanks,
Mattias
--
Mattias Hembruch, University of Waterloo.            Where time has no meaning,
BASc Computer Engineering, MASc Candidate            our reason does not apply.