Linux 6.5

Post by Bobby Oglethorp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm new at this so here it goes. how is linux compared to windows? Is it
alot more user friendly I'm getting really tired of windows and high prices
 at microsoft. Afterhearing about the upgrade to windows 2000 is $220.00
Thanks, BOB

Linux 6.5

Post by Davi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm new at this so here it goes. how is linux compared to windows? Is it
> alot more user friendly I'm getting really tired of windows and high prices
>  at microsoft. Afterhearing about the upgrade to windows 2000 is $220.00
> Thanks, BOB

> --

There is a learning curve to overcome to use it and takes
some reading to get it setup but well worth the time to
learn.

Linux 6.5

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm new at this so here it goes. how is linux compared to windows? Is
>it alot more user friendly

It depends on the user. The old adage goes, "Unix is user-friendly -
it's just selective about who its friends are". The user who is willing
to climb an initially steep learning curve in return for more power,
flexibility, and stability in the long term, as well as willing to do a
*lot* of reading, will probably get a lot out of Linux. You can't just
expect to be able to run it competently straight out of the box, though.

Quote:>I'm getting really tired of windows and high prices at microsoft.
>Afterhearing about the upgrade to windows 2000 is $220.00

I got tired of that a while back. :)

(I anticipate a lot more people switching to Linux now after the damning
findings against Microsoft in its court case ...)

--

Trinity College, Cambridge, and Computer Science       [riva.ucam.org]
"Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both

Linux 6.5

Post by news.ufl.ed » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

....a wonderful learning curve, good for the mind, body, soul, and foul
language from time to time.  Who actually pays for MS products anyways?

Quote:> I'm new at this so here it goes. how is linux compared to windows? Is it
> alot more user friendly I'm getting really tired of windows and high
prices
>  at microsoft. Afterhearing about the upgrade to windows 2000 is $220.00
> Thanks, BOB

> --

Linux 6.5

Post by whistle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm new at this so here it goes. how is linux compared to windows? Is it
>alot more user friendly I'm getting really tired of windows and high prices
> at microsoft. Afterhearing about the upgrade to windows 2000 is $220.00
>Thanks, BOB

Analyze what software you currently have and figure out if it can be
duplicated using Linux. Then decide if you want to spend the time and the
effort learning Linux. You don't have to upgrade to Windows 2000 you know.

Paul

Get rid of the blahs to email me :}

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=67063&a=635208

Linux 6.5

Post by Peter T. Breu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I'm new at this so here it goes. how is linux compared to windows? Is it
: alot more user friendly I'm getting really tired of windows and high prices

Yep. A lot friendlier. IMO, of course.

I'm just trying to grok staroffice, which I understand is a clone of
powerpoint. I can't understand it at all! How does one move things?
Copy them?

I find writing latex, tex or troff much easier. No guessing or hours
of effort required.

Peter

1. Mandrake Linux 6.5 Boot Problems

I have just installed mandrake Linux Complete 6.5 on a PII-400, 128Mb RAM, 1
x 11GB HDD and 1 x 2.5 GB HDD.  I have the 11 GB disk partitioned in 2 and
the 2.5GB for Linux.  I have installed Linux following the guide to the
letter and when I restart the machine, I select Linux from BootMagic and all
I get is scrolling pages of "01 01 01 01 01 01 01".

Is there any way to fix this problem, or what am I doing Wrong ?????  I have
installed Linux once before on a SCSI HDD but It wasn't dual boot.  I guess
that is where I am going wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hostname? machine name? fqdn?

3. bugreport: 2.4.20pre9 + i2c-2.6.5 + lm_sensors-2.6.5

4. Intergraph Intense 3d Voodoo X server

5. nn 6.5 NNTP+NOV client only config for Linux ???

6. Script for intelligent cd's

7. linux mandrake 6.5

8. kernel for MkLinux

9. linux nis and irix 6.5 login program

10. Modem Setup for Linux Mandrake 6.5

11. how to install linux-SuSE 6.4 & RedHat 6.5

12. installation of linux-mandrake 6.5