Linux 5.2 path to CD in glint

Post by m shannon at fusionsites dot co » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:36:25

Greetings

Just installed 5.2 and apparently missed including wvdial or whatever
makes the OS connect to my ISP. Network settings seem to be OK but I
need to install the equivalent of Winsock.

In glint, how do I make a path to the CD drive, or floppy, to install
the dialer?

Appreciate some help as I am lost...

Post by Michael Perr » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:07:28

> Greetings

> Just installed 5.2 and apparently missed including wvdial or whatever
> makes the OS connect to my ISP. Network settings seem to be OK but I
> need to install the equivalent of Winsock.

> In glint, how do I make a path to the CD drive, or floppy, to install
> the dialer?

> Appreciate some help as I am lost...

> m shannon at fusionsites dot com

I believe that redhat wants to find the cd at /mnt/cdrom.  I don't
remember glint too well these days.  If I remember right, one view is to
see all the installed packages and the next view is to see the available
packages?  Make sure you have the original redhat cd in the drive and
change it /mnt/cdrom in the path.  It should mount.  If not, you could
just install the rpms (like ppp and others) that make up the dialup stuff
manually.  Mount the cd and go to the RPMS directory and install things
like ppp, perhaps a few others.

It would be better to go to a later redhat like 6.2 or perhaps Mandrake.
RedHat 5.2 was great in its time but its kinda dated now.

--
Michael Perry

------------------

1. Stupid newbie question about GLINT (RH 5.2)

 Okay, I need to play with Redhat more to learn more about it.  Anyway, I
decided to try to install samba so I can connect with my Win95 box (the one
I'm typing on now).  I start up GLINT, put the CD #1 into the CD-ROM drive
(NEC 4Xi SCSI, mount point /dev/cdrom, shows up as /mnt/cdrom), click on
Available, I get error msg "/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS doesn't contain any
RPMs".  I installed RedHat using this cdrom drive, and I can play an audio
CD in it, so what gives?  Okay, really dumb question - how do I switch to
this drive in a window and do an ls on it to read it?

Help!
Steve

2. Soundblaster 16

3. X, RH 5.2, SuSE's glint server

4. Problems with Mach64CT

5. Linux 5.2 CD wont load - please help!

6. Linux on Compaq Proliant 1000

7. Linux 5.2 cd images for ftp

8. Installing Linux

9. ANNOUNCE: S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2 CD-ROM $1.95

10. Does anyone know if the Red Hat Linux 5.2 CD comes with NeoMagic video drivers?

11. S.u.S.E. Linux 5.2 - CD Only

12. Multi-path I/O for AIX 5L Version 5.2

13. default installation path using glint