"mouse/device busy" error

Post by leath » Fri, 22 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I think I remember seeing this a while back, but I was trying
desperately to get X running.  Well, I've gotten X running finally
but now I get a mouse error-- "mouse busy", or "device busy".  My
mouse works fine before I run Xwindows (I can move the cursor around
my Linux screen).  My mouse is a PS/2 mouse, and it plugs directly into
a mouse port in my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

"mouse/device busy" error

Post by Andy Berkheim » Tue, 26 Sep 1995 04:00:00

:I think I remember seeing this a while back, but I was trying
:desperately to get X running.  Well, I've gotten X running finally
:but now I get a mouse error-- "mouse busy", or "device busy".  My
:mouse works fine before I run Xwindows (I can move the cursor around
:my Linux screen).  My mouse is a PS/2 mouse, and it plugs directly into
:a mouse port in my computer.

Before starting X you have to kill gpm by running "gpm -k" (you'll probably
have to log in as root do this depending on when you start gpm). gpm interferes
with X's own mouse routines.

-Andy

"mouse/device busy" error

Post by roo » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I think I remember seeing this a while back, but I was trying
: desperately to get X running.  Well, I've gotten X running finally
: but now I get a mouse error-- "mouse busy", or "device busy".  My
: mouse works fine before I run Xwindows (I can move the cursor around
: my Linux screen).  My mouse is a PS/2 mouse, and it plugs directly into
: a mouse port in my computer.

: Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

I had a similar problem.
type: ps -aux
if something called pgm (or something like that is loaded, kill it)
even better:
move the mouse around (while in regular text mode. i.e. dont run X win)
if there is a cursor on the screen moving around then you have this program
loaded. Now do the above ps -aux. Whatever it is called, it is three letters
long. X win should work now. (Atleast thats what worked for me). There is
probably a cleaner way of doing this so that the two programs can co-exist,
but in any case, this will hopefully allow you to see if that is what is
causing the problem. (i think it actually may be called gpm. )

jeremy shaw.