IP / route questions

Post by Scott Trowbridg » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 04:16:32

Good Afternoon-

I've got a network issue on a Linux box that I hope someone can help me
with.

My situation is as follows:

Currently our firewall/gateway, which has an IP of 192.168.21.1 handles all
of

our internet needs for our entire office. We have three NIC cards on this

firewall: inet0 is attached to our ISP, inet2 is for all of our internal

machines (192.168.21.0) and inet1 is to another network. We need to pull a
range of IP

address from inet0 router and redirect them to the service on inet1.

Thank You

Scott

IP / route questions

Post by Michael Wandinge » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 22:25:24

Hi Scott,

> Good Afternoon-

> I've got a network issue on a Linux box that I hope someone can help me
> with.

> My situation is as follows:

> Currently our firewall/gateway, which has an IP of 192.168.21.1 handles all
> of

> our internet needs for our entire office. We have three NIC cards on this

> firewall: inet0 is attached to our ISP, inet2 is for all of our internal

> machines (192.168.21.0) and inet1 is to another network. We need to pull a
> range of IP

> address from inet0 router and redirect them to the service on inet1.

you needs NAT - Network Adress Translating
This would be realized in ipchains (Linux 2.2) or iptables (Linux 2.4),
both of them are Firewalling-packages.

Two possibilitys: your firewall external IP is in the range of your
NAT-Adresses or it is not.

If not, your provider must set a static ip-route for the NAT-Subnet over
  your firewalls external adresse as gateway.

greetings

Michael

Quote:

> Thank You

> Scott

1. tcp/ip routing question - overriding default route down the line?

Hi,

A friend has the enviable possition of having one router and
two ISP's.  The goal is to have the DMZ/internet servers use
one ISP, and the internal net and desktops use the other.
The cisco router always seems to use one isp and not the other.

Can the internet server specify the route, past the router,
and to the ISP of it's choice?  How?

a summary of the solution will be posted.

Thanks,

Pamela Pledger

Taos Mountain           http://www.taos.com

2. Cannot telnet or ftp to localhost? Redhat Linux 3.0.3

3. tcp/ip routing question - setting the default route beyond the local router?

4. amd - hung on homedirectory

5. IP routing question

6. dump for Linux

7. private / public ip routing question