Problems installing Linux on ThinkPad i1300

Problems installing Linux on ThinkPad i1300

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 07:48:54

I just tried to install Linux on an IBM ThinkPad i1300. I am trying to
install RH linux 7.1.

The system is new and I have not even tried to boot into windows. I am
booting off the Linux CD #1.

The system just hangs after "running /sbin/loader".

How do I get it working ?

Thanks.

Problems installing Linux on ThinkPad i1300

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 07:54:10

I should mention that the processor is a Celeron and the system has no
floppy drive.

Post by Gerald Pollac » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 22:38:17

> I just tried to install Linux on an IBM ThinkPad i1300. I am trying to
> install RH linux 7.1.

> The system is new and I have not even tried to boot into windows. I am
> booting off the Linux CD #1.

> The system just hangs after "running /sbin/loader".

> How do I get it working ?

> Thanks.

Is this a usb-connected cd? On my system (thinkpad X21), at some point
during installation linux "forgot" how to access this cd. I ended up
copying the cd contents to the windows partition, preparing a boot cd
with the hd.img (this on another system with a cdrw), and using that to
boot for installation.

Problems installing Linux on ThinkPad i1300

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 00:28:57

No. This is not a USB CD. It is detected as hdd. So it must be IDE. Do you
think that the fact that it is not hdc could be one of the causes ? (I
have tried boot : hdc=none, without any luck.).

> > I just tried to install Linux on an IBM ThinkPad i1300. I am trying to
> > install RH linux 7.1.

> > The system is new and I have not even tried to boot into windows. I am
> > booting off the Linux CD #1.

> > The system just hangs after "running /sbin/loader".

> > How do I get it working ?

> > Thanks.

> Is this a usb-connected cd? On my system (thinkpad X21), at some point
> during installation linux "forgot" how to access this cd. I ended up
> copying the cd contents to the windows partition, preparing a boot cd
> with the hd.img (this on another system with a cdrw), and using that to
> boot for installation.

Problems installing Linux on ThinkPad i1300

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 17:32:47

Finally discovered a workaround and installed RH 7.1 on i1300.
Now I am trying to set up X on this. Do you know where can I find monitor
specs for TFT monitors ?

All I have been able to find out is that this is a 13.3" Active matrix TFT
monitor (not even the name is given).

Post by Ben Hagu » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:17:54

> Finally discovered a workaround and installed RH 7.1 on i1300.
> Now I am trying to set up X on this. Do you know where can I find monitor
> specs for TFT monitors ?

> All I have been able to find out is that this is a 13.3" Active matrix TFT
> monitor (not even the name is given).

Laptop manufacturers website would be the first place to look. I believe
LCDs are pretty standard, so as long as you get the resolution right
(probably 800x600 on that size screen) you should be OK.

Ben

Post by Matthew Mill » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:07:32

>All I have been able to find out is that this is a 13.3" Active matrix TFT
>monitor (not even the name is given).

There should be a "Generic LCD Panel" option in Xconfigurator.

--

Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Problems installing Linux on ThinkPad i1300

Post by John Scudde » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:48:26

Try making the install floppies.   Boot from drive a: for the install.
The older thinkpads required you to type 'linux floppy=thinkpad' at the
boot prompt.

John

Quote:> I just tried to install Linux on an IBM ThinkPad i1300. I am trying to

Post by bo » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 02:34:10

> Finally discovered a workaround and installed RH 7.1 on i1300.

Could you provide any details on what workaround was effective?  I
have not been able to find anything.

bob

Problems installing Linux on ThinkPad i1300

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:37:04

Details on my homepage :

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~chhabra/linuxonTPi1300.html

> > Finally discovered a workaround and installed RH 7.1 on i1300.

> Could you provide any details on what workaround was effective?  I
> have not been able to find anything.

> bob

1. Annoying problems with mouse and battery on IBM Thinkpad i1300

System :
IBM Thinkpad i1300
RH 7.1
kernels these problems are reproducible on :
2.4.2-2, 2.4.3-12, 2.4.7, 2.4.10, 2.4.13, 2.4.16, 2.4.17
(the long list is indicative of the frustration of yours truly :) )

------

Before I state the nature of the problem, let me make a few definitions :

A = region of the screen that displays X (I am using KDE).

B = region of the screen that the mouse can access.

In my case, area of A = area of B (as should be) but sometimes, the two
are not coincident (the problem).

This is erratic and the problem sets in (when it sets in) after an hour or
two of usage, and B *shifts* to the right w.r.t. A. The consequences of
this shift are that the point where the mouse pointer is *logically*
located and and the point where the mouse pointer is *physically* located
are different (imagine my frustration when it sets in). There is a
vertical corridor of unavailability at the left of the screen. Yes, I can
access icons, etc. there by clicking on a point judiciously to the right
of it. Ditto for all points in A.

Only a reboot of the machine, an annoying necessity, helps in getting rid
of it.

Second problem (*sometimes* happens at the same time as the first) is the
erratic behaviour of chargen - the charge notifier plunges the charge on
the battery to "zero" and I get a notification. Unless I restart apmd, the
system happily proceeds to freeze itself (though the charge in the battery
remains at "zero" even after I restart apmd). And surprise, surprise, all
this happens while the power adaptor is plugged in ! To see if this was
a genuine sudden drain on the battery, I often (a poor form of amusement
that has long since shed its novelty) unplug the adaptor and proceed to
reboot the machine, the system comes up with about 96 % charged up, etc.
Mysterious are the ways of chargen.

Oh yes, these two problems do not occur on win98 partition that I have
kept (much against my inclinations). So it is *not* a hardware fault.

Can someone suggest what is the cause of these 2 problems ?

2. 2.5.68 and SMP on arch/sparc

3. Wierd sound problem on IBM ThinkPad i1300

4. reading beyond end of device

5. ThinkPad i1300, XF86Config, extern_disp and a tale of two kernels

6. Trouble installing MDK 9.0

7. Getting USB to work on IBM Thinkpad i1300

8. Additional apache process startup after OS patched

9. Problems installing Linux in a Thinkpad 380ED

10. Urgent: Problem when install Linux on IBM Thinkpad 755C

11. Problems installing Linux on IBM Thinkpad 360CSe

12. Linux on Thinkpad install problem

13. Problem installing RedHat 4.0 on Thinkpad 760ED