1. Annoying problems with mouse and battery on IBM Thinkpad i1300
IBM Thinkpad i1300
kernels these problems are reproducible on :
2.4.2-2, 2.4.3-12, 2.4.7, 2.4.10, 2.4.13, 2.4.16, 2.4.17
(the long list is indicative of the frustration of yours truly :) )
Before I state the nature of the problem, let me make a few definitions :
A = region of the screen that displays X (I am using KDE).
B = region of the screen that the mouse can access.
In my case, area of A = area of B (as should be) but sometimes, the two
are not coincident (the problem).
This is erratic and the problem sets in (when it sets in) after an hour or
two of usage, and B *shifts* to the right w.r.t. A. The consequences of
this shift are that the point where the mouse pointer is *logically*
located and and the point where the mouse pointer is *physically* located
are different (imagine my frustration when it sets in). There is a
vertical corridor of unavailability at the left of the screen. Yes, I can
access icons, etc. there by clicking on a point judiciously to the right
of it. Ditto for all points in A.
Only a reboot of the machine, an annoying necessity, helps in getting rid
Second problem (*sometimes* happens at the same time as the first) is the
erratic behaviour of chargen - the charge notifier plunges the charge on
the battery to "zero" and I get a notification. Unless I restart apmd, the
system happily proceeds to freeze itself (though the charge in the battery
remains at "zero" even after I restart apmd). And surprise, surprise, all
this happens while the power adaptor is plugged in ! To see if this was
a genuine sudden drain on the battery, I often (a poor form of amusement
that has long since shed its novelty) unplug the adaptor and proceed to
reboot the machine, the system comes up with about 96 % charged up, etc.
Mysterious are the ways of chargen.
Oh yes, these two problems do not occur on win98 partition that I have
kept (much against my inclinations). So it is *not* a hardware fault.
Can someone suggest what is the cause of these 2 problems ?
2. 2.5.68 and SMP on arch/sparc
3. Wierd sound problem on IBM ThinkPad i1300
4. reading beyond end of device
5. ThinkPad i1300, XF86Config, extern_disp and a tale of two kernels
6. Trouble installing MDK 9.0
7. Getting USB to work on IBM Thinkpad i1300
8. Additional apache process startup after OS patched
9. Problems installing Linux in a Thinkpad 380ED
10. Urgent: Problem when install Linux on IBM Thinkpad 755C
11. Problems installing Linux on IBM Thinkpad 360CSe
12. Linux on Thinkpad install problem
13. Problem installing RedHat 4.0 on Thinkpad 760ED