Video Qs: setting more lines, rotating the display.

Video Qs: setting more lines, rotating the display.

Post by malcolm dew-jone » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

I would like to configure my monitor on my PC running linux to use more than
25 lines and 80 columns.  EGA mode with 43 (?) columsn would be fine, nothing
fancy.

I'm not sure where to start looking to do this.  Is there a utility which
sets the video attributes which I can include in the startup?

Pointers would be greatly appreciated on this topic.

In a related manner (though perhaps much harder to do) I would like to be able
to turn my monitor sideways so it is taller than it is wide.  Are there any
utilities that will display the video sideways?  I've seen joke programs that
do things like turn the display upside down, but I don't even know where to
find something like that.
type

Any suggestions on these topics would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post by Scott Earnes » Fri, 08 May 1998 04:00:00

> I would like to configure my monitor on my PC running linux to use more than
> 25 lines and 80 columns.  EGA mode with 43 (?) columsn would be fine, nothing
> fancy.

> I'm not sure where to start looking to do this.  Is there a utility which
> sets the video attributes which I can include in the startup?

If you use lilo, you can do this.  Do a "man lilo" for more information.  It
runs in my mind that there are also some related commands that can change this
information without rerunning lilo, but the name escapes me at the moment (the
manpage may have more info).

Quote:> Pointers would be greatly appreciated on this topic.

> In a related manner (though perhaps much harder to do) I would like to be able
> to turn my monitor sideways so it is taller than it is wide.  Are there any
> utilities that will display the video sideways?  I've seen joke programs that
> do things like turn the display upside down, but I don't even know where to
> find something like that.
> type

I know there are some 90-degree tilt monitors that do this, but I don't know
how much of that is dependent on drivers, and if so, what level of support
Linux has for it.  As for doing that in software, I don't think it can be done
in console mode, though you might be able to do it in X with an extensive hack
(don't know enough about X internals yet to say for sure).

Quote:> Any suggestions on these topics would be appreciated.