Compiling a new kernel

Post by Jim Grunewal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm trying to recompile my kernel to add SLIP and PPP support for using
diald. That seems simple enough, but leave it to me to make an easy thing
hard!

1. What determines the defaults for make xconfig (and presumably make
config)? Are they taken from the current configuration of the kernel? I want
to make sure that the new kernel will support the hardware I configured it
for when I installed it originally.

2. What is the functional difference between choosing kernel support
(selecting 'y' at an option) and choosing module support (choosing 'm' at an
option)?

3. Is a module a device driver, a shared library, or what?

4. I tried makeing a kernel, but it ended up being too big (msg. = System is
698kB. System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules. I assume that
choosing 'm' for more configuration options, I would be better off. However,
it seemed that I took as many out as I put in. Any suggestions?

The instructions I read only said to take the defaults for all options
except that to insure that SLIP and PPP support was included. I'm just
afraid that I'll loose support for hardare I have support for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Compiling a new kernel

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I'm trying to recompile my kernel to add SLIP and PPP support for using

You don't need to. There isn't a compiled kernel around that
doesn't have both either compiled in or as a module.

: 1. What determines the defaults for make xconfig (and presumably make

Those aren't defaults! They're the current values taken from the current
compilation (look at the .config file). You'd see the defaults if you
started with a fresh kernel source install.

: config)? Are they taken from the current configuration of the kernel? I want

Current kernel COMPILE configuration, yes.

: to make sure that the new kernel will support the hardware I configured it

Better try harder, then. Why don't you just use the same kernel and
"modprobe ppp"?

: 2. What is the functional difference between choosing kernel support
: (selecting 'y' at an option) and choosing module support (choosing 'm' at an
: option)?

You need to read the Kernel HOWTO, and the Modules HOWTO, and the kernel
README. The latter most of all.

: The instructions I read only said to take the defaults for all options
: except that to insure that SLIP and PPP support was included. I'm just

It's already there. Stop doing whatever you are doing before you
drive us crazy.

Peter

1. compile new kernel => compile new iptables ?

just installed a new kernel and iptable stopped working.
I get the following error:

# iptables  -F FORWARD
iptables v1.2.4: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Module is wrong
version
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

having kernel2.4.16 and iptables 1.2.4.  I check googles and the
netfilter-docs and the postings in googles says that this is, if iptables
wasnt compiled against the recent kernel and the netfilter-install needs
the kernel-sources in every step.

somehow this doesnt make sense to me. The netfilter-modules are included
with the kernel-sources and therefore change at every new kernel, but why
should I be forced to compile a new iptables-binary ever time I update my
kernel ?

thnx,
peter

--
peter pilsl

http://www.goldfisch.at

2. Adding a User

3. kernel panic on a 2.2.5 kernel new compile

4. mouseclick in a script

5. Problems Compiling New Kernel w/ Slackware's version of 1.2 kernel

6. Java-Linux setup

7. compiling ANY new kernel gives "Kernel Panic"...HELP!

8. Progress and FreeBSD

9. Compile software on new kernel for old kernel

10. Kernel panic after compiling new kernel... help!

11. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

12. SLIP/PPP -->new kernel-->new compiler-->new make

13. New: typo in ipmi_devintf.c causes kernel compile to fail